Wednesday, July 3, 2013

AROD, THE RIVERDOGS & WHAT THE MEDIA IGNORED


Word started to spread via Facebook and other outlets early Monday afternoon.  Alex Rodriquez was starting his rehab assignment in Charleston, South Carolina.   The whispers were he would be starting the first 3 innings for the Charleston Riverdogs at 3rd base. Where did that leave Dante Bichette, Jr, I thought?  I was able to get a ticket, but soon they would be offering standing room only tickets at "The Joe", Joseph P. Riley Park, for $7.00.

Game time was 7:05, so I rushed straight from work which is on King Street in downtown Charleston.  I only mention King Street because earlier in the day, there was an ARod sighting on the street.   Now, I've been to many Riverdog games over the years and can safely say it was the first time I saw people scalping their tickets!  Clearly, ARod was a huge draw on a humid Tuesday night.  Average attendance for a  Riverdogs game is 3,791 (2012).  Last night's attendance was 8,255!  The crowd was ready to either cheer or boo Alex.


I myself have mixed emotions about Alex.  You can see the box score and read about how Alex did in his three innings on the field and his two at bats, (hitting into a double play and striking out), but what left the biggest impression for me was what he did after he was done playing.  During the game he went out to the Riverdogs' bullpen, which sits along the first base side, and chatted with the relief pitchers.  Under the watchful eyes of two of Charleston's Finest, he then spent a full inning signing autographs for fans up and down the first base line.  Love him or hate him, he did not have to do that... but he did.

By the way Eduardo Nunez played too!  And did much better than ARod!

That's my take BYB... hope the readers enjoy my night with ARod.



--Valerie Beacham
Special BYB Correspondent for ARod debut in Charleston


Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017