Tuesday, March 26, 2013

VERNON WELLS & LYLE OVERBAY ARE YANKEES!

Big day in Yankeeland as we made the Vernon Wells trade official.  You got the email from Yankees.com, I know you did.  Here is Bryan Hoch's story from MLB.com HERE.

Wells seems excited and now that I see how this is all playing out with the signing of Lyle Overbay today as well (more on that in a moment), I see the Yankees looking to be competitive and looking to pick up guys that they believe can help and they are clearly trying to be patient here.  Damn... I need to get used to that patient thing.

Anyway, here's some of that Hoch story:

"Wells was officially acquired by the Yankees from the Angels on Tuesday, along with cash considerations. New York sent Minor League outfielder Exircardo Cayones and Minor League left-hander Kramer Sneed to the Halos in exchange for the 34-year-old Wells, who is expected to be the Yankees' Opening Day left fielder.

'Just the history and the names that are in this clubhouse, and the guys that are in this clubhouse -- this is special,' Wells said. 'It's obviously a huge commitment to put the pinstripes on, but this is baseball. This is the center of it all and this is a fun way for things to go toward the end of my career."
(In Photo: Ichiro's first visit to the Bronx as a Yankee)
Yeah, that's right, the Yankees sent Cayones and Sneed in exchange and now we have a guy that I'm expecting big things from in Vernon. Much like Ichiro Suzuki, I'm looking for a rejuvenation and I hope Wells brings it to us.
In other signing news in Yankeeland, the Yankees agreed on a minor league deal with Lyle Overbay.  You can read about that HERE. The story is simple, and we wrote about it in YANKEE RUMORS: SANCHEZ, CROSBY & OVERBAY, the other day, but in a nutshell, he had until today to be released and today he was granted a release by the Red Sox. He immediately went to the Yankees and they signed him. Case closed.

Finally, and this is a minor move but important, especially just days away from opening day. The Yanks claimed right handed pitcher Dan Otero off waivers from the Giants.  You can read about that HERE.

Good last minute moves? I'd say so.  I like it whenever the Yankees make movement. I'm happy about it and I'm getting very, very excited about Opening Day right about now!

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017