Thursday, March 14, 2013

NOW BATTING FOR THE YANKEES, THE CATCHER, NUMBER...

His voice will forever echo in Yankee Stadium.  I still get all tingly when I reminisce his eloquent introduction of rookies and legends.  It’s only been a few years since we lost Bob Sheppard yet when I see greatness on the field, I think about what his name would sound like day after day, week after week, year after year as he steps up to bat.  And for the first time, just this past weekend, I heard his Chris Stewart’s name voiced by Bob Sheppard, in my head.  Yes, he is my pick for starting catcher for the 2013 New York Yankees.


I have been a Francisco Cervelli fan since I saw him play for the Trenton Thunder, the AA farm team of the New York Yankees.  His passion is contagious and he can hustle for sure.  But, he just doesn’t have the complete make up of what a catcher in today’s game needs to have.  Chris Stewart does.  He is smart, he challenges his rookie pitchers and he offers amazing consistency.

According to New Jersey Star Ledger’s article (HERE) “Yankees catcher Chris Stewart embraces opportunity as he competes for starting role,” Stewart has “developed a solid rapport with the pitching staff. He caught 18 of CC Sabathia’s 30 starts. He earned praise for his pitch-framing and game-calling.” Joe Girardi even admitted that pitchers enjoy throwing to him.  And YES Network’s Michael Kay said in a broadcast over the weekend that Chris Stewart is challenging rookies to throw the change up and experiment with new pitches.  Stewart is smart and sometimes we forget how important winning games are when it comes to strictly pitching and catching.  We are always talking about slugging but if we can win games from behind the plate and on the mound then we really have a tremendous opportunity this season.

“The primary job for that position is to take care of the pitching staff, to call the game, (have) really good framing abilities, and [focus on] run prevention,” Cashman said at the team’s Hot Stove panel last week. “And the bat’s going to be secondary.

Sure, Chris Stewart’s lifetime batting average is 2.17 yet he is getting good at bats this spring and is now hitting 4.29, out batting his rival Cervelli who is batting just around 2.50.  According to CBS Sports, Stewart is not worried about the Joneses or the Cervellis.  “I'm not worried about what other guys do," Stewart said."I’m worried about what I need to do. As long as I take care of business I think I have a good chance to help this team win."
Good attitude for the almost 31-year-old who may have just built up an amazing amount of ambition in the off season as he watched Russell Martin fly off to Pittsburgh.  Sometimes that is what it takes to get athletes to peak and right now, Stewart is on the verge of something great.  He is impressing me with his smart game play and defensive moves.  He looks like a leader on the field and he may be just the spark we need to get our season off on the right track.  “My goal is to help the team win any way I can, and I think I can do that better behind the plate right now,” Stewart said after a game last week in an interview with CBS Sports (HERE).

Sounds good to me, Chris- now don’t let me down!  Bring your finest to the Bronx this year and let us see what you have been storing up.  It’s your time – Now batting for the Yankees, Number 19, Chris Stewart, Number 19. 



--Suzie Pinstripe, BYB Opinion Columnist
Twitter: @suzieprof




Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017