Saturday, September 8, 2012

IT'S TIME FOR A POSADA TEAM MEETING

My frustration level is too high right now for me to be cute or witty. The Yankees have been missing in action for too long now, and with 24 games left, there is no time to waste. We need to “right the ship” now before we relive that empty feeling from 2008 with no post season glory. Luckily last night's win could very possibly be the start to something, but I'm a fan of the closed dooor meeting, namely, the Posada closed door meetings, where players walk out memorized, in awe and ready to win.  Now, it's true, they've had closed door meetings lately, read HERE, but fact of the matter is….I'm not so sure it's changed much.  I know what this team needs, Jorge Posada needs to make a visit, for the team, for the fans and to make this season a success... can you imagine?

It’s time to put the entire team in a room, sit them down and let Jorge work his magic. I miss his passion, and his drive which is something that this team could use right now, especially to stay consistent in their winning ways. There is no way that Jorge would just sit back and repeat the same things every night to the press like we've been seeing.   Jorge had heart and it’s one of the things I loved about him the most. He expected to win there was no other option. Sure, maybe my idea is unrealistic, but it's still brilliant if I do say so myself.


Jorge was a leader and he wore his heart on his sleeve.  As tough as Jorge was taking hits behind the plate for 17 years, the padding he wore on the outside didn’t change how much of a softy he was on the inside. We always knew how he was feeling because when he came through in a big situation he smiled, when he was frustrated he grimaced or let out a roar of frustration. Jorge was never one to hide the way he felt, you saw the way he played in his face, he wasn't a robot, he was a ballplayer, in fact one of my favorite quotes from him talks about how important it is for him to be outspoken, "If I see a problem in the clubhouse, I say something right away. I don't wait two or three days."

 
That is exactly what Jorge did, he stepped up and helped guide this team and we still need that. As tough as he was, he had his vulnerable moments. One thing I will never forget is watching him cry (Read WHY REAL MEN CRY) in an interview after the Yankees lost game 5 of the ALDS last year to the Tigers. Surely, this passion didn’t retire too right?
 

What I mean is, I don’t see the same determined feeling now that he's gone. The Yankees need a spark of dynamite because looking at the dugout lately,  I don’t see any of that emotion. At this point, I want to see someone on this team show me that emotion. Call me crazy, but when I see a player have an emotional reaction, I like it. I want to see that he's alive in there and that you are feeling and experiencing the same emotions that I am having as I watch on my television from almost 3000 miles away. Time is ticking away, and reacting during the last game of the regular season just won’t cut it.

(In Photo: Russell Martin crushed home run in 8-5 win)
Luckily, we saw something last night in our 8-5 win against Baltimore, a game that felt like a playoff game and we need to keep going.  Keep winning, keep that momentum going, that chemistry needs to continue.  Jorge had such great chemistry with his team. Every time he spoke with the press, he spoke about the team and what key players did in the game. I just don’t know that the dynamic is the same anymore.  Sure, the players talk about team work, but it just doesn’t feel the same. When the chemistry is in the clubhouse, we will see it on the field. We need more of that. How can we expect to win it all without it?

I have to wonder if Jorge is at home in Florida watching the Yankees and shaking his head in frustration. When Jorge was upset, he never hid it and he always played like a warrior. He was the spark that the team needed...always... he was throwback...he was the real deal. Fact of the matter is, the Yankees can call up all of the young kids from AAA they want and they may add life to the team, but they are not Jorge. 


Jorge, Your leadership is missed.  I realize that more now than ever.  I wish our team could gain that passion right now, like they did when you were there....and look, I know the Yankees will work through this, but I just wish Jorge was here to give us that extra push. Let’s face it; we could use some of that Jorge charisma right now, couldn't we?

Good win last night Yanks...keep it going!





--Jeana Bellezza, BYB Writer and Editor
Twitter: @NyPrincessJ


Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017