Tuesday, July 10, 2012

REGGIE STIRRED THE WRONG DRINK


It appears the New York Yankees did what they had to do, tell the great Reggie Jackson that he needed to stay away from the club until they feel he should come back. This is coming from ESPN, read HERE.  As a senior advisor to the Yankees, he works for them. He’s also Reggie Jackson so unless he made a racial charged comment or punched a Yankee in the head, it appears the Yankees aren't going to fire the guy,  but instead, he disappears for a while. Like Goodfellas, Jimmy Conway tells Henry Hill to go on vacation in Tampa.  The difference is Henry Hill thought he was about to get whacked.  The Yankees are working like Jimmy Conway right now. They're saying to Reggie, "You made trouble. Go away for awhile, we’ll call you.” 
Now, Reggie has come out and made a statement about the situation and said this to USA Today's Bob Nightengale (HERE): "The Yankees think that the timing is not right for me to be around the team right now. When the Yankees feel that the timing is proper, I'll return.''

Don't forget, this has happened because of what Reggie said about Andy Pettitte, Alex Rodriguez, Kirby Puckett and Gary Carter. (Full interview HERE.) Here are the quotes below:

  "I didn't see Kirby Puckett as a Hall of Famer... I didn't see Gary Carter as a Hall of Famer. I didn't see Don Sutton as a Hall of Famer. I didn't see Phil Niekro as a Hall of Famer. As much as I like Jim Rice, I'm not so sure he's a Hall of Famer." What about Bert Blyleven? "No. No, no, no, no...Blyleven wasn't even the dominant pitcher of his era -- it was Jack Morris."

 "I don't think the fans really count them, and I agree... I believe that Hank Aaron is the home run king, not Barry Bonds, as great a player as Bonds was."

"Al's a very good friend... But I think there are real questions about his numbers. As much as I like him, what he admitted about his usage does cloud some of his records."


Look, the Yankees are about to make a big push toward the playoffs this second half and right now they don’t need to extra BS.  Couple that with negativity placed on someone like Alex Rodriguez who’s struggling as it is and that’s just added pressure and aggravation no one on the Yankees needs right now.

Reggie Jackson is an iconic Yankee.  It is my opinion that what he said was diarrhea of the mouth, but the point he was trying to make is actually in there.  Reggie believes he played hard and to the best of his ability for years.  He not only thought he was the best during his playing days, he’d tell you he was and probably still would to this day.  Reggie has never ever shied away from a camera or microphone, but what he forgot this time was he worked for the Yankees in an advisor role when he made those comments. You never crap on the hometown guys.  When you do, you need to pay the price.

Look, I need to be honest with you. PEDs make me queasy.  I shouldn’t be surprised when I hear that someone new had tested positive for anything any more, but maybe that's the traditionalist in me.  I want to believe that guys today are healthy and run on just all human ability.  That’s the kid in me I guess. Many do, but some don't.  Now look,  I’m not getting into a debate about PEDs and who did and who didn’t…I don’t know and I don’t know who to believe anymore. Plus, it’s not my job to figure it out.  But what Reggie was trying to say in his ridiculous rant was to try and suggest that certain guys “in his opinion” didn’t have the same work ethic and drive as “the great Reggie Jackson.” And I left that line in about Barry Bonds because I too don't count him as the all-time home run champ.  Why? Because I'm suspicious.  But I'm just a fan.  Reggie is a ballplayer, a Hall of Famer and a peer. Believe me, it's different. So yes, I see Reggie's point, but he just fell flat.  As far as guys like Alex and Andy Pettitte go…saying what he said about them was just plain stupid.  

Reggie deserves his lumps and should take them like a man and if I’m Reggie, I resign from the Yankees and go beg the Oakland Athletics for a job because there is no question that Yankee fans are passionate about their New York Yankees and I believe we’d be more willing to let go of this incident if he left the organization as a whole and not just temporarily.  Then, one day in 3 years they can invite him back for Old Timers’ Day and all is forgotten. Now…it just lingers.

Look, everyone makes mistakes and talks out of turn once in a while.  Reggie did that, and it’s time to step aside and realize we all can’t be like the great Reggie Jackson. Lesson learned, never talk smack about the guys we love, especially if you're one of those guys.  The pinstripes are powerful and we fans take it seriously.... apparently so does Yankee brass.  I'm happy about that, they got this one right. That’s my take anyway.

 ORDER A BYB SHIRT NOW, DROB WEARS ONE! Also, Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017