Friday, June 22, 2012

JOE MADDON'S "COOL DAD" ACT IS OLD


(In Photo: Tool)
I find Joe Maddon’s “I’m the cool dad” attitude as the Tampa Bay Rays manager annoying.  Let’s face facts, Davey Johnson is a veteran manager of the game.  No one said he was a God, but there needs to be some kind of level of respect.  That goes for everyone by the way, but Davey’s achieved quite a bit in baseball, he’s a dinosaur and he’s a World Champion and the other night when he had the umpires confiscate Joel Peralta’s glove because he was suspicious that there may be an illegal substance on his glove, Maddon could have argued sure, but then wait. Now, it turned out there was pine tar on the glove and , well, that’s when Daddy Maddon gets all defensive.


Instead of Joe Maddon just saying something simple like “We’ll see what they find” meaning, MLB, who will now examine Peralta’s mitt and it is now being reported that he will be suspended for 8 games, but he will appeal, read HERE. The point is though, Maddon instead got defensive called Johnson's act “cowardly”   What the hell is that?  Joe Maddon aggravates me. I’m tired of the “cool dad” act, the dad that let’s the kids drink in the basement and then denies it so the kids don’t get in trouble. The act is old.  Be a manager, stop trying to be a friend. 

Now I’ve told you here that I’m not opposed to scuffing a ball once in a while.  I call it baseball.  Many disagree with me and I TOTALLY understand your side, so don’t kill me for my opinion. I just feel like this type of crap has been going on for ever in baseball and It’s part of the game.  I also don’t believe you can lump it into the same category as PEDs.  While you can claim the spit ball is cheating, I don’t see it as being in the same category.  I am also not about to get into a debate about PEDs.  This is strictly about doctoring the baseball.  Again, my take on this is simple, alittle spit, alittle smudge never hurt anyone, but if you’re going to coat your mitt with pine tar and spit right on the ball in front of 40,000 cameras and you get caught doing it, tough noogies, you’re an idiot.    
We’ll have a piece about the spit ball and my take on Jose Valverde’s spit seen ‘round the world this weekend. You should check it out…believe it or not, it involves an interesting perspective and Nick Swisher’s involved.

But back to Maddon and his attitude.  It stinks. Instead of bitching about Davey Johnson, bitch at  your pitcher for blowing it!  Davey Johnson was great, he came out a day later and said quite simply of Joe Maddon that he was a "weird wuss.”  Thems fightin’ words!  That’s a veteran manager telling another manager who thinks he’s God’s gift quite simply “You haven’t won anything yet little man.”  Davey Johnson gets the Hero award of the week. Maddon? Maddon’s the goat.

 ORDER A BYB SHIRT NOW, DROB WEARS ONE! Also, Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017