Thursday, May 3, 2012

WHY NOTHING IN BASEBALL SURPRISES ME ANYMORE

There were quite a few stories swirling around Major League baseball in the past 24 hours, some Yankees related, some not, but hey, I thought I’d bring them to your attention just to keep you in the loop… that’s what we do here.
Mark Prior: The Boston Red Sox have signed former Yankees minor leaguer Mark Prior to a minor league deal.  Don’t forget, Prior was working his way back in the Yankees minor league system all last year and I was really hoping and praying for his sake, we’d get a glimpse of him last year at the major league level.  The guy last pitched in 2006 in the pros and had a slew of injuries along the way…even last year.  I actually felt pretty bad for the guy and it was clear I was the only guy that still had faith in him.  I like that he still believes in himself and for that, I hope he makes it back to the majors.  That being said, it’s now our job the hit him over the fence if he get’s there.  You can read about Prior from Jon Heyman HERE.


Brett Gardner: Marc Carig for the Star Ledger says that Brett Gardner is not likely to come off the disabled list Thursday which will mean more playing time for Eduardo Nunez or Andruw Jones in left field.  Look, I voiced my opinion on unexpected injuries in the Yankees outfield before. I hate to harp on it but this doesn’t surprise me. The Yankees had a kid named Justin Maxwell who had a dynamic Spring and they let him walk to the Houston Astros.  Maxwell was athletic and probably willing to ride the bench for an opportunity like filling in for Gardner.  Now we need to wait for Gardy to get healthy, use Andruw Jones, an awkward outfielder, and hope the ball doesn’t get hit out there.  Just sayin’, we could have planned that out alittle better.
Willie Aikens: Some of the older guys and gals may remember Aikens.  He was one of the player for the Kansas City Royals back in the 80’s.   I read a terrific piece today by SB Nation’s Amy Nelson who wrote about the hard life that Aikens had, self inflicted. He used drugs and eventually becoming a junkie and went to prison for a bit off and on.  But it was this quote that disturbed me: “Every day, every game of the World Series, I snorted cocaine.” He’s referring to the 1980 World Series where Aikens just kicked ass…a .400 average, 4 home runs and 8 RBIs, but he was a coke head.  I remember looking at his baseball cards as an 11 year old kid and was young enough to not know too much, but knowing the guy was a hot mess. You can see it in his 1981 Topps baseball card…I don’t think I was curious enough to know he was a coke head then, but it doesn’t surprise me.  That being said, Aikens is now clean and trying to help get young ballplayers who have an “itch” to dabble to change their minds and stay clean.  Read about it HERE.


Johnny Damon: The Cleveland Indians manager Manny Acta said that he wants Johnny Damon to be the Indians lead off hitter this season. Read HERE.  I never saw that one coming.  Not only did teams pass on Damon, they weren’t going to pay $5 million for an old lead off hitter.  Props to the Indians for giving Damon a shot at lead off again.  You know I like Damon, just not at the price Scott Boras wanted for him.  By the way, Johnny Damon eventually signed with the Indians for …wait for it… $1.25 Million.  Damn I should have been Damon’s agent... didn't I say $1 or $2 million? You're Welcome.

ORDER A BYB SHIRT NOW, DROB WEARS ONE! Also, Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017