Tuesday, March 6, 2012

PEDRO FELICIANO: THE LONELY MAN

Pedro Feliciano is all alone. It’s a damn shame too. The Yankees brought Pedro over with high hopes for the 2011 season and then after his injury with the Yankees, there was a absolute pissing match between the Mets brass and Yankee brass about who injured this guy, read HERE. In the end, it appears as though Pedro Feliciano is finished and he was shut down last year unable to return, read about that in HERE. At the time, I didn’t know what that meant, I just assumed Feliciano was to be let go and the Yankees would end up eating the rest of his contract. Then, going through Spring Training pictures, it was a surprise to see him in one of the photographs. He was allegedly looking at physical paperwork in the picture above. I wonder if he opened it and it read “You can’t pitch ever.”

I had written a piece about Feliciano and Damaso Marte a while back called THE MARTE & FELICIANO COMEDY HOUR because I could not believe that all this injury just kept these 2 pitchers out of the game as much as they had been. I was trying to make light of the situation, not attack these guys, after all, injury happens, but the reality is it’s actually quite sad if you think about it. This is a guy that was to be our extra lefty in the pen and it appears it will never happen. And Marte, my God, he shit the bed too both before and after his dynamic appearance in the 2009 playoffs. In fact, that is basically all he contributed to the Yankees. It didn’t work out.

So what to do with Pedro Feliciano? It’s clear to me Yankees aren’t eating anyone’s contract, so I guess they’ll hold onto Pedro Feliciano, put him on the 60 day DL or, in other words, purgatory and just wait it out. Hell, if he works through it, maybe we see him, but it’s doubtful, the guy's not going anywhere.

It’s unfortunate. Feliciano is all alone. I mean, sure he’s got the Yankees in camp and he’s there doing whatever physical therapy is needed, but in this world of sports athletes and high stakes, and relying on trainers, you need to rely on yourself too. If it’s true that trainer's screwed up this guy, or he was overworked, or he insisted on taking the ball every time, it's a crying shame. I'd love to see Feliciano be able to pitch again, I just don't know when or how that will happen...and you need to feel for this guy, you really do.

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and look for the hashtag #BYB. Also, join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017