Monday, March 19, 2012

MO PITCHING, MO PROBLEMS

I was talking to one of my buddies over the weekend who brought up a pretty interesting point of view coming from a Yankee fan. Why now? Meaning… why in 2012, after we finally went out and bit the bullet and traded Jesus Montero for a horse in Michael Pineda and signed a free agent like Hiroki Kuroda and re-signed Freddy Garcia did Andy Pettitte and the Yankees make a deal for him to come back? Ironically, after Pettitte retired after the 2010 season and we really needed Andy on our staff, he was dead set on “being home with the family” and not wanting to come back to play another season. No, instead, now it's 2012 and now we have a surplus of pitching and Andy gets thrown into the mix. It’s true, it’s puzzling to me too.

Freddy Garcia is not happy about it. You can tell by his comments made to Marc Carig of the Star-Ledger, Freddy said this about Pettite’s return:

“I don’t really care, That’s their decision. I’m here to pitch and that’s what I want to do.... I don’t know man... Ask the people. I don’t know. I guess …You play with the Yankees, nothing surprises you.”

Read Carig HERE. He also mentions Freddy threw his hands up in frustration when asked about it. I mean, do you blame him? Freddy already knew he had to compete with Phil Hughes, now he’ll most likely get pushed out and let’s face it, it may not be fair, but it’s business. Look, this post is not a slap at Andy Pettitte, I’d welcome that guy any time, any where, but the timing does seem a bit unusual doesn’t it? The way this can pan out is simple and believe me, it WILL work out but not without people getting their feeling hurt in the process. But look, it’s always good to have several pitchers. Of course, I have always expressed my concern about the innings load that both Ivan Nova and Michael Pineda have compiled during the 2011 season in comparison with their 2010 numbers. It bothers me a bit and it’s something we’ll need to watch. Couple that with Pettitte whom I believe will be in AAA around the time Opening day rolls around and will come up when needed, say May… that’s when I be we’ll see him. That’s my guess and I base that on nothing by the way.

I also believe Freddy Garcia, while given a shot to make the rotation will in fact be sent to the bullpen. I believe he’ll be available for a spot start if needed, that is of course if he wants to play in New York now at all. Let’s face it, he’s aggravated. I also believe Phil Hughes will get the title of “5th starter” and I wouldn’t surprise me if by say June 1st, the rotation is CC Sabathia, Hiroki Kuroda, Andy Pettitte, Ivan Nova or Michael Pineda and Phil Hughes.

Sure everyone can shout about the need for youth in a team’s starting rotation, including the Yankees, but even they know that a gritty veteran is necessary at times. I know the Yankees like what they got in a young Michael Pineda, but you can’t tell me they’re not annoyed about him coming to camp overweight and having a lack of velocity. It has to be a concern. So, in this case… they fell back on Ol’ Reliable… Andy Pettitte and extra arm, the guy they know the best.

Will the Yankees 2012 season turn out nicely? I believe so, but even though pitching wins ballgames, and “you can never have too much pitching," sometimes too much pitching causes headaches. I seriously have no idea how this rotation will fall into place, my rotation above is merely a guess, but in the end, a few guys just aren’t going to be in it, plain and simple. We’ll just have to see….and that’s the bottom line.

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017