Wednesday, December 28, 2011

WHERE IS JORGE VAZQUEZ?

During the season we spoke of a youngster the Yankees have that has enormous power and in their farm system right now. Jorge Vasquez made a name for himself in Spring Training last year and he played in Scranton-Wilkes Barre all season, kicking ass and taking names.

Vasquez can, in my opinion become a major league hitter, but there are 2 things wrong with Vasquez, he strikes out a lot and he plays a terrible field. Luckily, he’s young and those things could possibly be corrected. Here is his line last season in the minor leagues:

.262 AVG / 119 for 455 / 32 HR / 93 RBI / 166 K

Chad Jennings from LoHud spoke to Mark Newman, the Yankees Vice President of Baseball operations down in Tampa. Read it HERE. There were many names thrown around in his piece, but 2 stood out, Jorge Vazquez and Mark Prior. We’ll be writing up something on Mr. Prior soon.. you know how I love the guy.

Jennings ask Newman about a report that surfaced about Vasquez wanting to play in Japan. Read HERE. Newman responded “News to me…Still on my board…still under contract.”

I wonder if there’s any truth to the Japan report? I mean, Vasquez mashed the ball last year and maybe because of the gang we already have on the Yanks pro team, he feels like there’s no fit for him? After all, all the talk is constantly about Jesus Montero and Manny Banuelos. Look, I’m speculating, it’s not really fair, after all Newman confirmed it’s not true. There is no doubt though, I’d love to see Vasquez take some cuts in the majors in 2012, it could be fun, that’s all.

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017