Tuesday, August 9, 2011

WHY THE RUNYON 5K RUN BRINGS PEOPLE TOGETHER

August 7th was a beautiful day at Yankee Stadium for one of the best causes out there, the Damon Runyon 5k Run at Yankee Stadium. This year, over 4000 runners participated and the return was enormous, over $600,000 was raised for cancer research.

(Photo: Jim Petrozello)

In this photo is Roy White, the Official Run Starter and former Yankee great along with the following from left to right; Lorraine Egan, the Executive Director of the Damon Runyon Cancer Research Foundation, Alan Leventhal, Damon Runyon Board Chair and CEO of Beacon Capital Partners, and Tom Werner, Chairman of the Boston Red Sox.

Of the 4000 participants, the ages ranged from 5 to 76 years old and travelled from 30 states to be apart of this great event on a hot and muggy day at Yankee Stadium.

One of the participants is my friend Kathi Sheehan, as well her sister Ann Mokris and niece, Alex Mokris. Kathi personally ran the event Sunday for the 1st time and I was curious to how it all started for her.

BYB: How special is a cause like this for you?

Kathi: For me personally, my Grandmother, Dad, Uncle and 3 Aunts died of cancer. Many more friends and family have been impacted by cancer either directly or through loved ones. Frankly, I don't know anyone who has not been so regardless of my own personal experience, curing cancer is something I think everyone can support.

BYB: What made you decide to do this event together?

Kathi: We wanted to be part of a team. Being part of a team definitely helped stay motivated.

BYB: What would you tell someone who is hesitant to take on this commitment?

Kathi: It is for a good cause! Remember the reason you are there. Having been fairly athletic growing up, I was a little nervous knowing that I wasn't in the shape I could have been for this event. But then I remembered that my ultimate goal was to raise money and awareness for this cause.

BYB: Anything else you’d like to say about the event and the day?

Kathi: It was a challenging event - mainly due to the 287 steps we had to climb - but well worth every moment. I would definitely do it again!

Thank you Kathi and thanks to Doug Drotman who reached out to me earlier this year and asked if we here at Bleeding Yankee Blue would like to help spread the word about the Damon Runyon 5K Run. Of course we would!

Bravo to all the Ladies and Gentlemen for raising a lot of dough. you are patriots and we applaud you all.

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017