Monday, May 2, 2011

WHY JUSTICE WAS SERVED

Back on the morning of September 11, 2001, I was on my way to work. The day was gorgeous and all I remember was checking out the forecast for the Yankee game that night. After all, Roger Clemens was going for his 20th win and I was going. It was going to be a great night and I couldn’t wait. Obviously, that game didn’t take place on that day and tragedy struck New York and the United States changed forever.

Baseball was cancelled and to tell you the truth, I don’t even remember the next game that Clemens pitched when it did finally resume on September 16th. To this day, I don't remember if he won or lost, what happened to the city was crippling. I do however remember the playoffs and the importance of winning the World Series for New York City and it was amplified because once baseball resumed, it seemed like every player was wearing hats representing our fallen heroes, FDNY, NYPD , PAPD. The world embraced us.

I remember there was moment of silence when baseball resumed during a pregame ceremony, again, maybe it was on September 16th or maybe it was the playoffs, but I recall it being at Yankee Stadium and I remember it was more silent than normal. Then I heard someone yell FREEDOM. Does anyone remember that? It was heard during the broadcast and I got chills. Some would call it disrespectful. I found it to be empowering. I realized right then, for me, the New York Yankees represented the United States of America and we needed to win it all, for the Americans that died, for the brave heroes of the tragedy, for New York City to feel good again, even if it was just for a moment.

The Arizona Diamondbacks won the 2001 World Series. The Series was played with passion and both teams wanted the title of champion, and I realized right then that as much as I love my New York Yankees and I wanted them to win, baseball distracted me for alittle bit and the Diamondbacks winning was equally grand. Yes, my team lost, but I realized that the Diamondbacks were winning it, not just for them, but for America and New York as well. That World Series still stings, but I got over it, unlike say the 2003 World Series verses the Marlins.

Fast forward to last night. The United States killed Bin Laden after almost 10 years of searching for this loser. Americans all over the countrry cheered for the death if this terrorist. I tell you what, feeling good about killing someone is surely a weird emotion. All you’re life you’re not supposed to be happy about death,but the reality is, this death was right and it was just. Thousands of Americans died September 11th. The world stood still and all those thousands that died went to work to make a couple bucks to feed their family, and make a career for themselves. No one ever expected something so savage. Ironically, we were attacked in the melting pot of America, NYC.

So why am I bringing any of this up? I tell you because today brought me back to that day. All the emotion came back to me in a rush and while this War on Terror isn’t over, today represented symbolism. It represented that we are Americans and no matter what team we love or hate, at the end of the day, we all stand up for what’s best for our nation. All of us, and if you don’t believe me, just ask the Mets and Phillies fans. You will never see those fans together in the same room chanting the same thing again. USA... USA... USA. It gave me chills to hear that…it’s America…land of the free...home of the brave...America.

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

3 comments:

  1. I had the chills all night last evening. An eery night, an unfortunate reminder, and yet a thrilling moment for the entire country. Justice is served, life goes on, and above all else... Play Ball!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My feelings echo yours, Casey. We're raised to show respect for the dead, but how can we as Americans not at least feel gladness that this monster is gone? That series against the Diamondbacks was the beginning of the healing process for me; I felt like life can go on and there will still be great things to look forward to. And even though we lost the series, I was happy that at least the Yankees were in it to represent America. I felt really proud.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017