Sunday, July 10, 2016

IT'S A VERY REAL MARK TEIXEIRA NUGGET


2016 is an exciting season for everyone other than the Yankees.  I hate to say it that way, but it's true. And you folks know, even better than us, how truly boring it is to be a Yankee fan.  But, I have something that could pique your interest.  What if I told you that Mark Teixeira could actually be traded in 2016?  What if I told you that he could go as early as August 1st but more likely by August 31st?


According to the NY Post, "In the optimal scenario, Teixeira could put together consistently better at-bats, and the Yankees, knowing they won’t be extending the qualifying offer to Teixeira this winter as a rehabilitating Greg Bird awaits his turn, could pick up most or all of his salary in return for an interesting minor leaguer. And Teixeira could approve the trade to a team in need of first-base help like the Astros or Rangers (his original club)."


Now, how do you feel about Tex going to another American League team?  It would be a non-division team if he goes to the Astros or the Rangers, but it would still be an AL team.  I would not say it would be as "haunting" as the Daniel Murphy division deal to the Washington Nationals, but still AL nonetheless.


The Post goes on to say, "At this juncture, you bet on the worrying, and on Teixeira staying. Yet in this dreadfully boring Yankees season, Teixeira’s next destination provides some greatly appreciated intrigue."


As much as I would like to say with fierce conviction once again, "You're on the Mark, Teixeira," the reality is that Tex is done for me.  He has his money, charity work and home base in New York, but that's all he has right now.  Which, according to Tex, may be enough right now.  “Let’s be honest: I don’t need any more money,” Teixeira said Thursday, before the Yankees opened their series with the Indians at Progressive Field. “That’s not what I’m playing for. I’m playing for these guys in this room. I’ve been here for eight years. I’m playing for the Yankees. And that’s why I can focus on today. I don’t worry about those other things.”


As we head into the All Star Break, it will be interesting to see if guys like Tex can perform well enough to draw the attention of suitors who may need a big bat or defensive assistance to push them into the post season and in better position to win the league championships and ultimately the World Series.



--Suzie Pinstripe, BYB Senior Staff Writer
BYB Hot Stove Columnist
Twitter: @suzieprof



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017