Thursday, October 8, 2015

HOW TO CONVERT A NON-YANKEE FAN


One of my favorite movies of all time is How To Lose a Guy in 10 Days starring Kate Hudson and Matthew McConaughey. In case you haven't seen it...McConaughey makes a bet with his buddies that he can make a woman fall in love with him in 10 days. At the same time Hudson, a writer, is assigned a story for the magazine that she works for and she has her own challenge of ditching a guy in 10 days. I have my own similar story....well, kind of. Let me explain.

I recently started dating a guy named Jay. He has a lot of great qualities about him. He makes me laugh, he is ambitious and is incredibly smart. He sounds great on paper so how can a girl possibly have ANYTHING to complain about? Well, unfortunately he cheers for another team and says he cannot stand the Yankees. Now do you see my problem? I have officially started to date the enemy. Unlike the movie though, I am not trying to ditch Jay.


So referencing back to the movie here Jay and I are determined to convert one another. He is determined to get me to start idolizing Mike Trout and wear Red. All I keep hearing about is how Trout is the best player in the game. The Angels got lucky because when Mark Teixeira left, the Angels drafted Trout and now he is this big superstar. Blah, blah, blah....

Also, the Angels have Albert Pujols, who is supposedly better than Teixeira and also one of the best hitters in the game because he hit 40 home runs this year. Great for Pujols, that is a fantastic accomplishment but there is no way in hell that I will ever convert to be an Angels fan, sorry Jay.


He also likes to remind me about what happened in 2002 (which I have completely blocked out and will not reference any further) and I like to counter back with how we beat him in 2009 and eventually won the World Series. See, two can play this game.

I on the other hand am determined to get this man to see things my way. I believe that there is a Yankee fan in there somewhere because the man has six Derek Jeter rookie cards, folks....six!!! I keep telling him it is a sign but he won't listen to me.


So lately, we spend our days plotting how we can convert each other. He has no chance in hell, but I on the other hand hold the upper hand here. He won't admit it and says it will never happen but I feel very confident. Maybe by the time Spring Training rolls around I can get him to trade jerseys.


I was secretly hoping that the Angels and Yankees could play each other in the playoffs. Then, we would have made a bet and when he lost, I would have bragging rights. I guess I will have to wait for that to happen until next year....maybe.

In the movie, McConaughey and Hudson go to couples counseling in false pretense to solve their problems so maybe we just need a baseball couple intervention here. I don't know what the exact answer is here except that I will NOT become an Angels fan. He has lost some points with his choice in team however, I guess he earned some serious brownie points when he actually suggested me writing this story.

So clearly, this is a power struggle. However, I will always bleed Yankee Blue, so sorry Jay! Nice try though.


   

--Jeana Bellezza, BYB Senior Writer and Editor
Twitter: @NyPrincessJ 







You've made BYB the fastest growing Yankees fan site in history. Now shop at the Bleeding Yankee Blue store!  Follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and LIKE Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook!  Also, don't forget to check out the BYB Hub!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017