Saturday, April 4, 2015

PETE ROSE WILL GET A FAIR, FULL HEARING


In early March, one of baseballs most famous, Pete Rose filed a formal request to MLB Commissioner, Rob Manfred to lift the lifetime ban. The ban was issued in 1989 by then Commissioner Bartlett Giamatti. A punishment for having placed bets on the game of baseball.


Manfred is sitting down with Chuck Todd of "Meet the Press" in his first on air interview as MLB Commissioner. The interview is due to air Sunday, April 5th, 2015. In the interview, Todd addresses the issue of Rose, and the formal request to be reinstated.

"Rose has the right to apply for reinstatement. He's done that. I think he deserves a fair, full hearing, and I'm not predisposed on the issue in any direction."

"I think it's hard to look at the issue and not separate the question of whether someone who bet on baseball should ever be involved with the play of the game on the field again, from the question of whether somebody ought to be in the hall of fame."

Honestly, Manfred has kind of impressed me. More than that, I think I actually agree with him. Hey, I have made it no secret that I was not only NOT a fan of Bud Selig, but I didn't hold out too much hope for Manfred, considering he was Selig's protege. So, really... this is me eating humble pie.


Yes, it is absolutely time that Rose got a "full, fair hearing." It's far past time, in my honest opinion. As if his banishment from the game wasn't enough, soon after it was issued, the Hall of Fame modified the rules to make it so that those banned from the game would never receive the honor of being in the HOF. Which means baseballs All Time Hits leader will never get the recognition and honor he deserves. And that is where the second part of Manfred's comments come in.


Rose undoubtedly belongs in the Hall of Fame. He is MLB's hit king. His numbers are easily HOF worthy. But gambling will keep him out? Hear me out for a moment... We are now reaching the days where those who strived during the steroid era will be voted on, and possibly inducted to, the HOF. STEROIDS! It seems a bit bizarre then that the all time hits leader may never see the day he becomes recognized for his accomplishments. Think about for a moment... Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa, and Barry Bonds may see the HOF, but Rose is forever banished? 


Anyway, that's just my opinion on it of course. The point here is, can we look at this as two separate issues? Can we continue to ban him from the game, but still induct Rose? The change would have to be made in the Hall of Fame. And if Rose is ultimately inducted, does that give  Shoeless Joe Jackson a chance to be inducted as well? 


Either way, this is a huge step in the right direction. I think it is past time that Rose be reinstated, and the fact that Manfred is willing to give him a fair hearing, without a predisposition on the matter is excellent news. Honestly, I feel kind of grateful that the commissioner is taking this into consideration. And, as I told Casey earlier, "Manfred may actually surprise me after all."




--Erica Morales BYB Senior Writer 
Twitter: @e_morales1804




 

You've made BYB the fastest growing Yankees fan site in history. Now shop at the Bleeding Yankee Blue store!  Follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and LIKE Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook!  Also, don't forget to check out the BYB Hub!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017