Monday, August 4, 2014

SCULLY: THE PATRON SAINT OF BASEBALL RETURNS


I really “dislike” just about everything about the Los Angeles Dodgers. I  apologize for how I feel, and it’s not something I will change my mind about. It might stem from seeing the likes of Ron Cey, Davey Lopes and Steve Garvey beating my beloved Bronx Bombers in the World Series as a child. I sat on my parents’ bedroom floor with tears in my eyes asking my Dad, “How could Reggie lose?” and then telling everyone I thought Tommy Lasorda was a jerk.



It might be that my grandmother, who lived in Bay Ridge, loved the Dodgers and was heartbroken when they skipped town…she became a Mets’ fan…that bothered me too. I guess it could also be just their name. Much like the LA Lakers, I feel strongly that the Dodgers should have INSTANTLY changed their name with their relocation! The Lakes were in MINNESOTA, and the trains they once “Dodged” were in the streets on Brooklyn. LA simply seems to be okay with borrowing other cities’…well, everything really. Ever been out in La La Land and seen the insane number of “NEW YORK STYLE” pizza places? LA should just be LA. It’s got nice weather…and…


I guess the real reason I have grown to loathe the Dodgers more than that rival club up in New England is rooted with the time I lived in Los Angeles. I went to a lot of games at Chavez Ravine while I was a Southern California resident. It’s a good ballpark, but (most) of the fans just ruin it.  Make no mistake there are solid, true blue Los Angeles Dodger fans. They love their club and I absolutely respect that. The sad truth is that that group is vastly out numbered by beach ball chasing clowns, the late arriving/early departing crowd and others seeking anything but a nice day at the yard. It would turn my stomach to see how much the majority of the ravine didn’t care all that much about the game.


I’d force down a Farmer John Dodger Dog (The worst hot dog in the Bigs) and root for whatever club was occupying the visitors’ dugout. When they play Randy Newman’s “I Love LA” after the final out was recorded I’d long to be back in New York…and wish that Mr. Newman had picked the afternoon in penned his tribute to Los Angeles to write a song about Phoenix or Cedar Rapids.

Now if you are reading this and are a native of Los Angeles and a die-hard Dodger fan take heart. No matter how I feel or what I say you still hold one thing over all other Major League clubs and their fans…you have Vin Scully.


The iconic voice of the Dodgers recently announced that he would be returning to the booth for yet another season. I was elated to hear that news. I am a giant fan of Mr. Scully. His voice is Baseball. If Bob Sheppard was likened to “The Voice of God” then it’s my contention that when you hear Vin Scully’s voice you are hearing the soothing tones of Baseball’s Patron Saint. I can’t deny it; the Dodgers have the best of the best calling their games for radio and TV. Mr. Scully goes with Baseball the way Ice Tea goes with Lemonade. It’s smooth, crisp and always refreshing. He has a timeless way of calling each moment of the game, and no matter whom you root for you want to hear Vin call out your favorite players names. He is without question one of the constants in this sport and a touchstone for the generations. Now if we could only deal Suzyn Waldman and a boatload of cash to LA for Vin…

I don’t think I am overstepping any line by saying that all Yankee fans wish Mr. Vin Scully the very best for the season to come, and thank him for being not only the voice of the Los Angeles Dodgers, but the voice of Baseball…

Mr. Scully was born in the Bronx and attended Fordham University by the way…I had to take one more dig at LA, but it’s all done in good fun. They have a true legend out there. No doubt about it.

** Against my better judgment…but this one is for Vin…**







--Mike O'Hara, MLB Fan Cave Host, Season 1
   Twitter: @mikeyoh21
    

"Paulie was always my favorite player."
 




You've made BYB the fastest growing Yankees fan site in history. Now shop at the Bleeding Yankee Blue store!  Follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and LIKE Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017