Wednesday, December 11, 2013

RETIRING TORRE'S NUMBER IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO


Quick note about Joe Torre and his number 6.  It's never been used since the man left the Yankees and for good reason.  He accomplished a lot when he was at the helm and with him now being officially elected into the Hall of Fame, (read TORRE ELECTED TO THE HALL & I HAVE A STORY FOR YOU) the Yankees are making the right move retirting his number. 4 World Championships, 6 AL Pennants and after 12 years with the New York Yankees, a managerial record of 1173 -767. Fantastic.


It's also making me think about the Core Four, the Fab Five, featuring Bernie Williams and even the Sensational Six featuring Paul O'Neill.

What happens when it's time for Derek Jeter, Andy Pettitte, and Jorge Posada? Will they be retired to complete the set started with Mariano Rivera this season?


I once envisioned a July 4th at Yankee stadium many years from now where a bunch of retired Core Four guys would stand at the mound on George Steinbrenner's birthday and have their numbers retired together, Mo, Andy, Derek and Jorge. Now with Mo already retired, my dream is shattered, but maybe the Yanks will still one day honor the idea.  To me, nothing would be better.


I don't know if that will happen that way, but I will tell you this, I'm thrilled about Joe Torre having his number retired... and one day, hopfully the others will too.

We shall see, but Lord knows, I'm not the only one who thinks this way in Yankeeland, am I?

Thank you to all the Bleeding Yankee Blue readers for continued success.  You've made BYB the fastest growing Yankees fan site in the history of Yankees fandom.  Thanks for reading, sharing and enjoying. Follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue (Official) on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017