Tuesday, August 6, 2013

THERE WAS NO JOY IN MUDVILLE... BUT THERE IS NOW

Little League baseball is corrupt. Let me rephrase.  I like the Little League organzation as a whole, they do great things for the kids, but when "Daddy baseball" surfaces... and believe me, it's rampant, kids don't get a fair shot, yet their own kids do... Hence... it's corrupt.  In a nutshell, being part of the Little League organization, being a certified coach, I have a clear observation and opinion on it all, so write this down...

There are certain coaches, managers and commissioners that clearly do what they do to benefit their own children. It doesn't matter that their volunteering to me because we all volunteer, am I right?  What "Daddy baseball" has done, is they've managed to manipulate the leagues, the teams to better their own agenda. I have seen this for 4 years now.  Kids play 3 innings while "Daddy baseball's" kids play 6.  Ignored children will play the outfield, while "Daddy baseball's" son will play the key positions.  That's the reality, but it shouldn't be.

It's clear to me, they have lost the idea of what Little League is supposed to be all about.  The organziation's slogan has always been there, but "Daddy baseball" never read it and disregards it. "Character. Courage. Loyalty."  Someplace, who knows where, that was lost, and now it's about "win at all costs" and screw the child.  I'm serious and yes, this is my opinion.   So yeah, in some regards, in some towns across the country, Little League is corrupt because of "Daddy baseball".  Am I out of line for suggesting that?  Not really.  You have all witnessed it with your own children at some point, and some of you are the problem. I know that for a fact because now I'm knee deep in it.  When I was a kid, I used to hear by own father talk about it.  Now, years later, I sit here as a father and it's never been more crystal clear. It's disappointing.

My son didn't make the top team in his town this year and full disclosure, I have an axe to grind because of it, but I've been quiet about it until now because... well, there's a happy ending in this all, but more on that in a moment.  The truth of the matter is, my son didn't make it and it's not just devastating, it's the end of the world for a 10 year old. My son knew he made it after his tryout. He felt great and to be honest, I may be biased, but I knew he made it too.  In the end though, in a small town where everyone knows everyone and "Daddy baseball" runs the tryout, it was clear they weren't trying out 15 kids, they were trying out 5.  As a parent, you watch it unfold and you hope it's not true, and then it happens and you think to yourself, "I knew it...damn."

Now, let me be clear; I understand elite teams.  I understand getting the best team on the field.   You want to believe that parents aren't living through their own children and trying to make "all-star" teams behind your back.   But then, when kids don't make the club, "Daddy baseball" has their moment of finalizing their handpicked "all-stars" and shaking each other's hands and patting each other on the back for a job well done.  At that moment, there's a disregard for the kid who wants it "so bad" and a push forward for the talent they "think" they have. In other words, it's not about the tryout really.  The tryout is actually a Dog and Pony show. In the end, it's "Daddy baseball"... their team, their way, and they hope you don't find out or have to balls to call them out on it. Again... I know this for a fact.

As one parent told me, "They already have their teams picked, why do they put my son through this misery?"  It's a provocative question.  But here's the difference... I'm tired of seeing kids that deserve to be there, like my own, wondering why they "stink".  So, I'm doing the next best thing, I'm tackling this head on and I need your help.

If you're a parent who's seen this happen in their town, to your son or daughter, email me and tell me your story. If your kid didn't make their top team because you saw the corruption first hand, I want to hear from you.  If you are one of those parents who was on the "Daddy baseball" end of this and are willing to talk to me about the corruption, email me. In other words, while this is a Yankees fan site, there is an underlying message here. Family. This year's BYB slogan is,  Life... Love... Yankees, and I take that seriously. Family is first.  If there is trouble in your family, you circle the wagons, right?  If there are problems in life, you solve the problems together. Now, more than ever, I want your help, after all, we're family.  Bottom line, we try to keep things honest here.  So it's time to be honest, about all of it, and "Daddy Baseball" will now be my mission.

Sure, all families have problems. All families believe in their children too. And in the end, much like the Yankees, we learn that we need to push hard in life and family and work and be the best. So, it's become clearer and clearer to me that "Daddy baseball" isn't about the kids at all, it's about the parents that run the league. It seems like their agenda takes precedent over whether or not the true talent is there. Bottom line, they've handpicked their teams and they've done it for years, in my town and in yours.  They could care less about who's sad for not making it. Why? Because they are grooming their "future all stars".  So the time is now. Tell me your story, we'll feature it here. We don't need names, we need stories.  Are you in Missouri or California? Florida? New Jersey? Has this happened to your son or daughter?  How did it happen? What happened? What can you offer to us about it?  We want to know here at BYB, and we'll bang the drum and hopefully make a difference.  After all, this has gone on long enough and it's time for a change.

In the end, my son did something I never thought he would do, and to be honest, I would never have done at his age. He tried out for a club team, a team with actual coaches and no "Daddy baseball".  He had a fair tryout, he was number and no one knew him. He made it. He made it with tougher competition that he went up against in his town team.  He made it like he thought he made it the first time. The difference is, this time, there were no father's pushing their own kids... there were real coaches with a real message, "Success is earned."

My son's team won the championship on Sunday afternoon.  He contributed to a team that worked their tail off and in the end he achieved his goal.  Oh... and remember that other team that my son didn't make? They were out in the first round.

Karma is a bitch... Suck it "Daddy baseball"... we won't be back anytime soon.

The Bleeding Yankee Blue store is opened! CLICK HERE TO START SHOPPING! Also, follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue (Official) on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017