Tuesday, April 16, 2013

LIFE, THE UNIVERSE & EVERYTHING


Jackie Robinson represents to me the best of what people can be. He is sheer talent, pure bravery, and all that is admirable. He represents that which is good about humanity.

He represents the best of America. This nation is supposed to be about achieving your dreams, no matter who you are and no matter who says you may not. Jackie is quite frankly the absolute representation of the American Dream made good.

Nobody thought Jackie could do it. Many did not want him to. But he believed in himself and achieved his dream anyway. And changed how we all saw baseball in doing so.

He makes me proud of my dual heritage. I grew up in Canada, which has quietly made major contributions to baseball. Babe Ruth hit his first professional home run in Toronto. Jackie played for Montreal. Canada does not thump its chest about what it has done for baseball, but it should here.

His story speaks to me personally. I live in Brooklyn. I love baseball. I now have a son, and want nothing to impede his dreams either. Children play baseball in Prospect Park, right next to where I live. Maybe my boy will want to play with them one day.

Even the new movie about him resonates for me. It is the story of a personal hero of mine; about a sport I love deeply; starring a childhood favorite actor in a supporting role (like YOU don’t love Han Solo/Indiana Jones either); and the actor playing Jackie is named Chad, like me.

One more correlation that sums up how I feel about Jackie Robinson?

Douglas Adams, in his “Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy” books constructed an elaborate story arc where the punchline was the answer to “Life, the Universe, and Everything.” The gag was that people couldn’t get the question right. But the answer?

It’s 42.


Chad R. MacDonald
BYB Writer
Facebook: New York Yankees the Home of Champions
My Blog: ChadRants



Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

1 comment:

  1. Jackie Robinson was my favourite player as a 10 year old kid listening to the World Series against the Yankees, i was born in Montreal , I have his book, Dodgers memoriablia Jersey Cap and 42 face mask

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017