Thursday, March 21, 2013

WHEN YOUR WORST FEARS COME TRUE

I have no use for Eduardo Nunez at shortstop.  I know it’s temporary if we lose Derek Jeter to the disabled list, but it’s not a smart move. He has hands of stone...and that's my opinion. Yes, I love Nunez and his bat.  I love Nunez and his speed. I hate Nunez and his glove… and the fact that he’s even made it to the major league level with that sort of flaw is not only inexcusable, it’s embarrassing.  

The Yankees want Nunez to work-out so badly, they are are forcing him on us.  But in this world of uncertainty already for Yankee fans, Nunez being the starting shortstop, possibly on opening day, may be the biggest blow to this Yankee base.  

As I sit here in my Reggie Bar t-shirt this morning, I’m fuming.  I do what I always do. I read Pete Caldera in the Bergen Record (Read HERE) and I observe just how carefully he crafts his piece. He never writes like a fan like me, but like a respected journalist.  He’s not the kind of guy that will force his opinion on us. His job is to report and it's some of the best reporting out there, so I go to him first. I read him as he writes: “Derek Jeter’s streak of 11 straight opening day starts at shortstop is in jeopardy”. OK, he’s got me curious. Now I'm thinking that Nunez is the backup, so I read on and find this nugget: “Nunez was charged with his third error of the spring Wednesday when he couldn’t handle a tough in-between hop on a ball that changed direction.” I start to seethe.   Then, I read “’(I’m) still uncomfortable,’ Nunez said of the new throwing mechanic, ‘ (But) I’m excited. I don’t throw too many balls in the stands anymore.” Now I’m angry.  Dammit Caldera, you've done it again!

What the hell is happening? Is Tanner Boyle from the Bad News Bears available? Because if he was, at least I could latch onto the heart of that kid and deal with the mistakes.  I mean, this is the major league level we’re talking about.  Why are we investing in this Nunez guy, especially if it’s a position so important to us fans? With Derek Jeter out, the Yankee base gets worries, the balls gets taken from the club, the heart goes away, it’s as simple as that.  Derek Jeter IS the Yankees, and while we knew he was making huge strides to come back, no one really knows what Derek Jeter is thinking.  He’d lie to you if he knew he could get in the game and help the club. But message to Jeet… you’re no spring chicken.  Bottom line, if you need to take the time to get back to 100%, do it. That being said, message to Yankee brass…. You’d be fools to try and force Eduardo Nunez on us again.  And I never root against my team, so what I’m about to say is not the norm, but if this move blows up in our face and we lose big games on big Es because of Nunie, it’s on you and us Yankee fans will remind you every day. I know I will.

Yankee opening day was never supposed to have Eduardo Nunez run us out of the dugout.  It’s was supposed to be Derek Jeter.  Jeter is the Captain.  Jeter was the guy who did everything right for us all these years and the idea that Eduardo Nunez “might” start the season for us at shortstop is not only a Hail Mary, it’s a move made with Cashman’s fingers crossed behind his back... hoping it will work, but knowing it won't.

Now let me stop for a second… I’m getting myself riled up.  First off, Eduardo Nunez is a nice guy.  That’s what I hear from his teammates.  Many fans are willing to give him a shot and in that regard, I understand.  But let me be clear.  Eduardo Nunez is not an infielder. He’s not. That’s the bottom line. 


So I say this… with Mark Teixeira out, I could live with it for a bit.  With Curtis Granderson out, we have options and we’ll manage for a bit.  But if Derek Jeter is out, it’s devastating.  It’s the heart and soul of this club.  It’s the core of the club.  Not having Jeter is like not having mustard on a hotdog… it’s un-American  and not the Yankee way.  So look, if Nunez gets the ball for opening day, sure I’ll root, but unfortunately for him, I’ll be over-critical and extra annoying as I watch each grounder roll his way, because this may be the biggest stage Nunez has ever been on and he’ll be under the biggest microscope ever… us fans watching and wondering what the hell happened to our New York Yankees.   

Something is a miss… and it's time to demand answers.

 Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017