Saturday, March 23, 2013

WE'RE STARTING TO TICK OFF DEREK JETER


We need to stop asking about his ankle... and for the record, don't look for Bleeding Yankee Blue to harp on it either.

Look, this is the bottom line and we've been trying to do this here at BYB; We know Derek Jeter is recovering from an ankle injury... so do you. I mean, how many articles are you going to read about Jeter's ankle before you realize that it's the same story? Honestly? You'll rarely see it on Bleeding Yankee Blue.  Why? Because it is my theory that reading and reading about an ankle recovery, day in and day out doesn't do anything but make us anxious.  It makes me anxious at least.   I feel as though there is something about this story that just depresses people.  Sure, we'll give our thoughts and opinions on the return time and the very,very good possibility of Eduardo Nunez taking his spot opening day... but that's it.

Now, today the best story on this was from Pete Caldera of the Bergen Record (HERE), of course.  It's titled Derek Jeter still has opening day in his sights, and Pete had a nice Jeter quote about it: "Listen, when I’m ready to play, I’ll play here. I’ll play anywhere... My goal is to get back and play as soon as I can.” 

And as far as the ankle is concerned, Jeter told Caldera: “Like I told you, there’s nothing broke, nothing wrong with tendons. It’s soreness you have to deal with... There’s really not much to discuss in terms of the condition of my ankle.”

No offense to any reporter trying to get alittle extra from Jeter on this one, but my question is "is there anything new?  I mean, we know Jeter a long time, you are fans.  When has he every really told us anything different.  Bottom line, if he can play, he'll play... that's his thing.

Now, from a journalism standpoint, it should also be mentioned that yes, the Jeter ankle thing IS still a story... because it's Jeter and because he's the heart of soul of this team.  But be honest with yourself, you can literally replace certain words in that quote above and it's still a story because it's Derek Jeter... 

For Example: "It’s a bowel movement you have to deal with... There’s really not much to discuss in terms of the condition of my rear.

I kid, but you get the point. In other words, whether it's Jeter taking a crap, or Jeter recovering from injury, while it's necessary to report it... we ain't learning anything. So, let's just be patient and hopefully he runs out of the dugout on opening day.  After all, that's the goal... the Captain's told us that several times.

And for the record, Jeet just told Bryan Hoch of MLB.com (HERE) this in reference to his ankle: "I will not address how anything feels anymore... It’s good. It’s not broken. Some things, you’ve got to work through, like I told you. It’s really pointless to sit here and say each and every day, ‘How’s it feel? Does it feel better?

It’s pointless. Some days are good, some days are bad, but you’ve got to work through it. That’s what I’m going to do.”

In other words... Stop!  Jeter knows it HAS to be a story, but let's just wait and see what happens.  And you know what? Bleeding Yankee Blue will too.  Luckily for us, we're the fans, not the sports writers and we don't have to address it.  Hopefully when Jeter's ready, we will know, probably from Pete Caldera... then, in turn, we will tell you guys! For now... we wait.

 Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017