Saturday, December 22, 2012

AARDSMA THE ANIMAL WILL BE BACK!


 I have this good feeling and I can’t really explain it but I have this hunch that David Aardsma is going to do some amazing things this year. I have no facts to back this up. There is no big breaking news story... it’s just that instinctive gut feeling.

Everyone loves a good comeback story, but this isn’t the same. We have been following David Aardsma for quite a while here at BYB, even when he was recovering we were keeping tabs on him. In July he told us himself that he was starting to throw again read that HERE and “Aardsma Watch” was officially born. I like this guy, he's a gamer.
I think Aardsma is going to play an important role for the Yankees this year, I believe that with every fiber of my being. As soon as Rafael Soriano opted out of his contract this winter, Aardsma popped into my head. They say when one door closes another one opens….and I think this is the perfect example. Sure, I am going to miss Soriano. He really stepped up when Mariano Rivera injured himself and those are not easy shoes to fill. He saved 42 games for us this year and he really was the anchor for our bullpen. It will be interesting to see which team’s uniform he will be wearing by the time Opening Day gets here, but either way I wish him luck. I know some fans are still upset about it, but we have another option in Aardsma.

I remember when Aardsma was playing for the Mariners I thought he had great stuff even back then.  He throws hard, he is a competitor and he just wants to be on the mound. I had a new appreciation for his dedication when Brian Cashman had to shut him down this year because he was pushing himself too hard read that HERE. Now, with the 2013 season approaching it’s time to put his injuries and Tommy John surgery in the past. Sure, that is a tough injury to recover from but he has proven himself already and the fact that he was pushing himself so hard just shows how much he wants to be on the field.

Aardsma could be an effective piece in the bullpen. I imagine plugging him into an already impressive bullpen with Joba Chamberlain and David Robertson and that is a very strong bridge to get to Mariano.  If the starter can get to the 6th inning, the rest of the bullpen could close it out easily. I imagine a new dream team. Ok, so maybe I am getting a little ahead of myself here but this is a strong bullpen. Also, if the unthinkable were to happen to Mo he could be another person to help close out games. He recorded 69 saves with the Mariners so he is no stranger to the pressure. I like how he attacks hitters and he isn’t afraid to challenge anyone. He has guts, and I think he will thrive off of that in Yankee stadium.  

The bullpen has been a strength for the Yankees the past few seasons, and I don’t think that will change now. Losing Soriano stung at first, but right I really get excited by the possibilities that Aardsma can bring to this team. It’s time for him to shine. He has been overlooked lately, and I can’t wait for him to step out onto that mound in Yankee stadium!



--Jeana Bellezza, BYB Writer and Editor
Twitter: @NyPrincessJ



Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017