Thursday, September 27, 2012

GARDNER'S SPEED IS COMING AT THE RIGHT TIME

"Sure he can run, but can he run?" 
-- Nick Castolano, my club baseball coach

My baseball career lasted through high school and it ended there. I did a stint with a club team but it was short lived and never played college ball. I could tell by my size and lack of power I would never be a superstar, despite my love for the game. I look back and wonder, but I know I made the right choice.

I had plenty of opportunities stealing bases in my young career and even when I wasn't playing a full 9 innings, I'd be utilized as a pinch runner just so we could scratch together a run in the late innings. That happened a lot. Then I met Nick Castolano, who, when told that I could run the bases faster than anyone on his team, he, in his best smart ass Yogi-esque snicker said, "Sure he can run, but can he run?" What does it mean? Simply this; "He can run the bases, but does he have baseball instincts?" 

I thought about Nick Castolano a lot this week, God rest his soul, because Brett Gardner was activated to mostly be a pinch runner for the Yankees in the next few weeks and maybe play alittle outfield, read HERE. Sure, Brett Gardner can run, and he has, but it's my estimation that when we really need that speed, sometimes it take a while for Gardy to get started. My opinion of Brett is simple, I love him, I love him on base, stealing and making things happen, but Gardy needs to be aggressive, trust his speed and just go for it.

What do I mean? This... 2 Saturdays ago my kid played his 1st fall game of the season and when he got on first, the next pitch, with the ball securely landing in the catcher's mitt, he bolted for second. He didn't look, he didn't stop, he ran his tail off and he stole second. Granted, this is Little League we're talking about, but the point is, he trusts his speed and he didn't care if it was Joe Mauer catching, he was going to make it, it was in his mind. He was aggressive. Brett Gardner needs to trust his speed and be the spark plug we need down the stretch, believe it or not it can be a big part of this team. Don't believe me? Look at what Ichiro has done for us lately. You add Brett in the mix, and it's just another tool the Yankees can utilize.
Herb Washington was a world class sprinter with no baseball experience and was signed by the Oakland A's in the 70's to be a pinch runner...that's it. There was 1 problem, and this is where Nick Castolano is right to ask his question... Herb Washington had no baseball instincts and it never more evident than when he pinch ran for Joe Rudi in Game 2 of the 1974 World Series and was picked off at a crucial point of the game.

(In Photo: Herb Washington)
Sure, he trusted his stuff, but he didn't know when to trust it and it burned him.  Bottom line, Brett Gardner has the tools, and he even has the baseball instincts, but he got to be smarter about when he steals the bag. He needs to be super aggressive. Gardy can't waste time. He needs to trust his speed and run his little ass off. Trust me, it'll help.

So yeah, Brett can run but can he run?  He can. He really can, and it's my estimation that he will and we'll see a rolling Yankee team roll alittle wiser and alittle better and alittle closer to becoming AL East Division Champs!  Then, when the playoffs start, Brett will help us big time, continuing to run his ass off. Bottom line, Gardy's speed is coming to the Yankees at the right time... I believe that.

Welcome back Brett, welcome back.

 Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017