Wednesday, August 1, 2012

RUNYON 5K RUN EXCLUSIVE: MICKEY RIVERS

You know just how dedicated Bleeding Yankee Blue is in making  you aware of the Runyon 5K Run at Yankee Stadium.  This year the run is on August 12th, the information can be found here.  Last week we had the pleasure of interview on of the "official" starters of the run, Yankee great Ron Blomberg. His interview is (EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: RON BLOMBERG.)  Today it's our pleasure to share with you our interview with Mickey Rivers, the other "official" starter of the run.  We interviewed Mickey Rivers when we first started Bleeding Yankee Blue and he was a great sport then, read HERE. This time around, it's even more special. This time, he spoke to BYB to help us promote the Runyon 5k Run.  A Special thanks to Doug Drotman for helping bring these interviews to you all. Doug you are a man of your word and we truly appreciate your help! OK Ladies and Gentlemen... Enjoy this... I did.

BYB: What would you tell anyone curious about running in the Runyon 5k run, but nervous about the endurance part of it?

Mickey Rivers: We always try to support cancer research. Everyone has a sister or a brother or mother affected by it. If these scientists can find a little better solution, people can live a lot longer.


BYB: How did you meet and get to know Ron Blomberg, the other Runyon 5K official starter?

Mickey Rivers: Bloomy was a teammate of mine. I’ve known him a long time. We used to do a lot of things together. His family would visit in Florida and the kids loved me. I did a lot of things for him and he did a lot of things for me coming up. We’ve been friends for many, many years.

(In Photo: Tommy Harper)
BYB: Who was your baseball idol growing up, Yankee or non-Yankee and why?

Mickey Rivers: Tommy Harper. What he did really gave me the incentive to get out there and work hard. When I got older, I got the chance to meet the guy. He always gave me some good advice – how do to this and that.

BYB: Who came up with your nickname "Mick the Quick"?

Mickey Rivers: My grandma. Back in the old times, they always had a slang name for the kids. They always had a nickname, something they could remember. She called me "Mick the Quick" and she stuck with it until her dying days.

BYB: Tell me about Thurman Munson the man, not the player? What was he like one on one?

Mickey Rivers: He didn’t talk too much. I’m a guy who likes to talk to people in general. Going into the press conference when I joined the team, we had different opinions at the time. But you just had to get to know the guy. After a while, we got to talkin’ and talkin’. He saw how I played, and that’s all he cared about. He would say: “Well, you can play ball. I know my job. I come to play ball.” I don’t blame guys like that. We got to talkin’ and had some different opinions, but we had a better understanding of each other. That’s all it takes. Sometimes people judge at first sight. But once we started playin’ together and talking, we started doing good things together.


BYB: The Bronx Zoo was a nutty clubhouse; how would someone like Robinson Cano handle it?

Mickey Rivers: Well, you know, I think Robinson would handle it great. I think he’s a great guy. He works hard. I watch his work ethic. He’d do a great job. I think he’d probably fit in nice with the group. They knew what to do. They knew how to handle the pressure. They knew what they had to go out and do. For me, I love Robinson. I know he goes out there and works. I talk to him on different occasions. He has a certain attitude. He can play ball. That’s what "the Zoo" wanted to do; Play ball and have a good time together. You just had to be yourself.

BYB: Who would be your all time Yankees outfielder?

Mickey Rivers: Dave Winfield was the top. He was a great guy and a great baseball player.

BYB: OK, you get a free plug, tell me about your website mickthequick.com ...

Mickey Rivers: The website helps promote a lot of things. I used to have the Foundation in Florida to support a lot of kids in the schools down there, so it promoted that. I’m doing a lot of corporate appearances for the Yankees and kids clinics at the Stadium and for Wish You Were Here Productions.

Be sure to check out the information involving the Runyon 5K Run at Yankee Stadium on August 12th.  Go tO www.damonrunyon.org/yankeestadium and sign up today, you won't be sorry. Trust me.

ORDER A BYB SHIRT NOW, DROB WEARS ONE! Also, Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017