Wednesday, August 22, 2012

PINEDA'S DUI IS WORSE THAN MELKY'S LIE. DON'T GET IT TWISTED

Michael Pineda. Melky Cabrera. I swear, the 2 of them should move in together. For everyone out there that are grouping us "writers" into the same category for ignoring or excusing the horrendous behavior of Michael Pineda and his DUI charge (read HERE), know this; I found his decision to drive drunk idiotic, immature and shameful. That being said, I have no problem throwing Melky into a similar category. But let me be clear, whatever stupid chemical Melky wants to put into his body is his decision. It doesn't hurt others, only himself. In the arena of public opinion however, I find him to be a liar and a disappointment which is why I was calling for Major League Baseball to create Public Service announcements with Melky speaking, to be played on both MLB.com as well as TV and radio for kids to see and learn from. Read MELKY CABRERA: WHEN SUNSHINE TURNS TO DARKNESS. But it's not just Melky, it's all those guys who don't think about getting caught and didn't think about the kids who worship their every at bat.

I wasn't piling on Melky, but I was making him the example because quite simply...enough's enough. Now I've heard people tell me that because Melky isn't a Yankee and most of us that read this site are Yankee fans, it really doesn't affect us.  It does, trust me, it does.  Melky isn't the only one, this is true, but taking illegal substance and cheating is wrong and all those guys need to be held responsible.

Now think about Michael Pineda for a moment. What he did, drive drunk, could have actually killed someone. Look at how many cases involve drunk driving every year. What Michael Pineda did was worse because it could have altered another person or families life forever. Look, I'm not the cops, I'm not some dude who is a goodie-goodie, but I understand pain. That being said, I am deeply bothered by top athletes and celebrities and their poor choices.  The immediate excuse from athletes is usually "Well, I never asked for all this fame. I just want to be a normal person. I never wanted to be a celebrity." Message to these athletes... You're in the public eye, that in turn makes you a public figure which in turn makes you a role model, like it or not.

Would I call for a PSA for Michael Pineda as well? Absolutely. But there is just so much more to all of this.  The importance of these stories.  I tend to take it to a personal level, that's just me.  I have kids that look up to athletes.  My 8 year old is a swimmer and was riveted to the Olympics and Michael Phelps.
My oldest loves baseball and appreciates the long ball and guys that are hot with the bat and the ones that aren't... well, they fall by the waste side.  The point is much like the hot gadget of the week, athletes that play well get attention and in turn become popular.  Melky got hot this year. My son thought he was something else and when it went down that he cheated, I was questioned by my kid about his mistakes. That doesn't jive with me.  I won't protect these guys when it comes to wrong decisions and me having to tip toe around it. I damn sure won't protect Pineda for his behavior either.

At the end of the day, I believe everyone can turn their life around.  Who knows what will happen to Melky Cabrera and Michael Pineda, but if they have a drive and dedication to get back after their serious mistakes, good for them. I believe in second chances. I also believe everyone has a destiny.  We'll just have to see what happens to those guys.  I'll tell you what though, don't throw BYB in the pot of blowing off the Pineda story. It's an important story, maybe even bigger than the Melky story, because his decision could have have very serious consequences... To accuse BYB of ignoring it is just plain ridiculous.

 ORDER A BYB SHIRT NOW, DROB WEARS ONE! Also, Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017