Sunday, April 22, 2012

WHY DAVID PHELPS IS BOY WONDER

There is nothing more to say quite frankly. David Phelps has become a surprise early this season and I hope he keeps climbing in the ranks fast, in fact… Good for him! When Phelps is out there it’s a breath of fresh air. I don't worry and it's strange because usually I do worry if there's a kid out there pitching.

Phelps reminds me a lot of David Robertson. Not so much with his delivery, but definitely with his confidence and his stuff. In fact, I have the same feeling when Phelps is out there and when DRob's out there. I know there will be a positive outcome. Phelps is the guy that no one really spoke about, flying under the radar and when he’s handed the ball this season, he just walks right up and pounds the strike zone. He’s the secret weapon, until teams start to take notice and believe me, by the end of May they will. Much like the way they did when Robertson came on… they will start talking about this kid around the league soon enough. DRob was just like that, at least that’s how I remember it. Robertson knew his role, and still does now, more confident than ever…he too goes in and delivers hard. David Phelps too goes hard, a trait you need in that Yankees' pen.


The best part about Phelps is he doesn’t need to pitch to one guy, he can keep going and going. As things progress this season, I see no reason why this kid can’t pitch in a spot start if needed or continue to come into the game in tough situations, especially if someone like DRob or RaSo needs a rest. I almost feel like DRob and Boy Wonder are interchangeable in some regard.
I speculated that if Phil Hughes continues to “suck it” in his next few upcoming starts, and Freddy Garcia does too, don’t be surprised if the Yankees reach out to Phelps to start a game or 2. He’s capable and I can see it already, Joe Girardi trusts him out there. If you can be trusted at his age already, he’s a future Yankees stopper, no doubt.  Even yesterday in Boston, while he gave up 3 runs, the kid pitched 4 innings working hard to stomp the Red Sox, I was pleased to see Phelps there and I know from that performance, Joe was pleased too.
This year Boy Wonder's line looks like this: 4 games, 2.92 ERA, 4 earned runs and 11 strikeouts in 12.1 innings pitched.

Any questions?

ORDER A BYB SHIRT NOW, DROB WEARS ONE! Also, Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017