Monday, January 23, 2012

WHY JOHNNY DAMON NEEDS TO COME HOME

It seems as though the majority of people I speak to on Facebook and Twitter really want to see Johnny Damon back in pinstripes and if it happens to be in 2012... that's just great with them. Couple those conversations with the poll we conducted asked the question: Who would you want as the Yankees DH? Out of the 199 people that voted, 45% of you, 90 of you wanted Johnny Damon back over Carlos Pena (Who signed with the Rays this week, read HERE.) 54 of you chose neither Pena nor Damon. Interesting. Here's the poll:
Look, over this past weekend, I thought about the Yankees and the DH. Do they need to hire from a list for free agents? No. Can they just wing it? Sure. Will they? No. They're the Yankees, sure they want to keep their budget down, it's clear now, but they still want to win. If they didn't they wouldn't have traded Jesus Montero. When I read the guys on the free agent list, Damon, Vladimir Guerrero, Cody Ross, Raul Ibanez, Hideki Matsui, any would be a nice addition to our ball club, but I have a gut feeling again, and I feel like at the end of the day, or this week, or next, Johnny Bravo is coming home to the Bronx. For 1, he'll be inexpensive, and 2, he wants to get back to the Yankees badly. Read Joel Sherman's tweet HERE. Now, Sherman's right, the Michael Pineda / Montero deal is not official yet, hopefully when that is announced this week, the Yankees can concentrate on the DH. Until then though, it appears the Yankees won't be doing anything. But I suspect, and this is my opinion, that if it was a race for the Yankees' DH slot, Johnny Damon's in the lead. It just makes sense to me.

Yes, it's true, the Tigers are pursuing Damon hard, read HERE and if the money the Tigers offered was right, no doubt, Damon goes back to the Motor City, no sense in waiting. But the reality is... while we don't need Johnny Damon... We should want Johnny Damon, a lefty, a fan favorite. I know I want him back, I want that chemistry with the rest of the ball club again. I want his veteran experience there to education the future New York Yankees, the Eduardo Nunez's of the team and I want to see Johnny, Jeet, Alex and Mo laughing on the field, having fun and kicking ass in 2012... Is that too much to ask?

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and look for the hashtag #BYB. Also, join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017