Thursday, January 12, 2012

THE CESPEDES SWEEPSTAKES START NOW

So who will sign Yoennis Cespedes? There are plenty of teams interested in this talented Cuban superstar, but who will ultimately snag him up?

I've wondered if the Yankees are truly stashing money away for this guy, like in 3 days we wake up and I click on Yankee Fans Unite or Bomber Boulevard and they have a headline that reads YANKEES FOOL ALL, SIGN CESPEDES. Stranger things have happened.

Early on this winter, there was talk that the Yankees were very interested in Cespedes (Read HERE)... but since all the top free agent pitchers have gone to other teams and Brian Cashman has sat back and preached patience, that rumor has cooled...considerably. You never know, but of course, I guess it's just wishful thinking at this point.
The Florida Marlins are reportedly the team that will be the most aggressive to try and land Cespedes. Ozzie Guillen is clearly on a mission so, it wouldn't be surprising to me if it happened. Juan Rodriguez of the Sun Sentinel has that report HERE.

The Detroit Tigers are another team that has been internally discussing the possibility of Cepsedes joining their outfield. Read HERE. In fact, in my demented world, I even asked the question of if the Tigers DID snatch him up, would the Yankees then try and trade for Austin Jackson and have a reunion... this was before we re-signed Andruw Jones. Read WHY REUNITING WITH AUSTIN JACKSON MAKES SENSE. It was a scenario piece... nothing more.

The Baltimore Orioles seem interested in Cespedes, but I cannot see them throwing tons of money at this guy. According to ...Ology: "Cespedes would look good in the Camden Yards outfield alongside Adam Jones and Nick Markakis but unless the O's feel certain that anyone will actually show up to watch that fine outfield trip, the price tag may be a bit high." Read the full piece HERE.

There are other teams as well, like the Washington Nationals, maybe the Chicago Cubs, or the Chicago White Sox. Needless the say, it's a frenzy, and to make matters worse, Cespedes will play in the Dominican league this winter which only means that scouts from all the teams and fans from all over will take a trip to go and check him out. Read that report HERE. No doubt... things are getting quite interesting.Will the Yankees go after Yoennis Cespedes? I'd like to think these are my "old school" New York Yankees and that I have no doubt in my mind that they will... but I have doubt this time... I do.

*By the way, be sure to check out Yankee Fans Unite on their new piece which I know you'll enjoy Would EJax take 2 years? about Edwin Jackson.


Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017