Sunday, June 26, 2011

WHY OLD TIMER'S DAY IS COMFORTING

(Photo: NY Daily News)
Every year the Yankees have Old Timer’s Day at Yankee Stadium and to me, besides Spring training and the World Series, it may be one of my favorite times of year. For 1, I have officially been a Yankee fan since I was about 7 years old. That would put me at the 1978 season and guys like Ron Guidry, Reggie Jackson and Goose Gossage were the kings of New York. So, seeing them years later, while strange because they are so much older, is really a treat for me. First off, Ron Guidry is my idol. I too am a lefty and I have had my Ron Guidry Wilson mitt since about 1985. Seeing my idol years later just pleases me to the core.

(Photo: )

My fondest memory of Old Timer’s Day was watching Bobby Murcer with a pinned on lavaliere mic in the field talking to the booth while he was playing. I always liked Bobby Murcer, and even though he played for other teams in his career, like the Giants and the Cubs, to me, he was always a New York Yankee. He had so much heart and pride for the pinstripes and the fans loved it and I know the Yankee family did too. Back in the beginning of Murcer’s career, many thought because he was from Oklahoma, he was going to be the next Mickey Mantle. Well, Murcer never hit as many home runs like the Mick, but he hit his fair share and hit them at the right time. We obviously remember August 6, 1979, the funeral day of Thurman Munson and Murcer both gave Munson eulogy and hit a 3 run home run in the game that night. It will be forever known as the Munson game. What touched me the most was the report of he gave his home run bat to Thurman’s widow. Man, I still get chills thinking about that. Bobby was a good ballplayer and a great broadcaster and when he was out there on Old Timer’s Day, he was having fun. There were a lot of laughs and you couldn’t help but love Bobby Murcer.

This year, another couple Yankees are making their Old Timer’s Day debut. Joe Torre, Lou Piniella and Bernie Williams will be there. Joe Torre, whom I’ve had the opportunity of meeting many times, is one of my favorite managers ever. I loved his managing skill and I loved Zimmer by his side. It will be good to see him and I wrote about it in WHY IT'S ABOUT TIME.

Lou Piniella was in the Bronx Zoo back in the 70’s and there is no doubt there will be a standing Ovation for Lou as well. Lou was always a decent ballplayer and then, over time he became a successful manager with the Reds and Mariners. He always had a tight bond with the Yankees and I appreciated Lou, even though we played against him for so many years when he was with Seattle. Lou is a Yankee and I’m glad he’s coming home.

Bernie Williams is coming back to the Bronx this weekend and even though I didn’t like the way the Yankees handled Bernie at the end of the 2006 season, I guess I need to get over it. Bernie probably did. I have to realize that it was business, but the way it was handled just bothered me. Whatever the case, it’s clear whatever riff they had is over and I couldn’t be happier to see him back in pinstripes, at least for just 1 day. This is a guy that I watched his entire career. I remember when things really started clicking for Bernie and I thought “Man, we have many more years of this guy.” That was probably in 1996. Next thing I know, it’s 10 years later and he’s walking off the field for the last time. To me, today will be special with Bernie back in the big house.

(In Photo: Al Downing)

Seeing all the greats is a comforting experience for me. You know that Al Downing will be there, he’s always there. Yogi Berra, Brian Doyle and hopefully Wade Boggs too. I am looking forward to seeing Paul O’Neill back in pinstripes, Mickey Rivers (Read EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: MICKEY RIVERS), Moose Skowron and Darryl Strawberry. These are the Yankee greats that have made significant contributions to the team during their time in the Bronx. It’s an elite group and a group I admire and have worshipped all my life.

So, Ladies and Gentlemen, today will be no different. I will be transformed into a 7 year old kid in just a few hours, watching my favorite Yankees play alittle ball; granted it’s alittle slower and alittle funnier, but never the less, they're my favorites and all of yours too and most importantly, it’s baseball…Yankee baseball, the greatest sport in the world involving the greatest team in the world.

Yankee Tradition… that’s what it’s all about and I’ll watch every inning today…I can’t wait.

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

2 comments:

  1. My first game ever was Old Timers day 1965. Back then they invited old time players from other teams to the event, So I got to see Ted Williams, Stan Musial, Monte Irvin, Duke Snyder, Roy Campanella and many others. The last people introduced was Mrs Babe Ruth and Mrs Lou Gehrig, In the OT game Joe Dimaggio hit a Home Run. The Yankees played the Indians, Mickey did not play, Starters were Whitey Ford vs Luis Tiant, Joe Pepitone hit 2 Home Runs and a guy named Ray Barker hit the game winning hit in the bottom of the 9th, But now for the "Rest Of The Story" One the way out my brother and myself on the way out was leaning against each other and my brother tripped and stumbled into Two Older Ladies. (Yes, they were Mrs Babe Ruth and Mrs Lou Gehrig) Boy did we get yelled out by the Police, but they were nice about it, (Now You Know The Rest Of The Story)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "First off, Ron Guidry is my idol. I too am a lefty and I have had my Ron Guidry Wilson mitt since about 1985..."

    I beat you by roughly 6 years, in terms of the glove, I, too loved Louisiana Lighting !!!

    Though I grew up a Reggie fanantic, late '70s, only followed in adoration for Goose !!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017