Tuesday, June 14, 2011

WHY THE KIDS WILL GET THE CALL

(In Photo: Hector Noesi)
Who will it be, who will it be? With Bartolo Colon out, the Yankees are going to need a starter to replace him this Thursday. Phil Hughes, while making velocity progress in his rehab isn’t available, others are and we need to look at them a moment.

Hector Noesi: To me, it’s a no brainer, Hector Noesi has been up a few times this year in the Big Show and I feel like it would only be right to see what he has as an official starter. To me, I feel like it would be unfair to just call up another youngster ahead of Noesi, but that’s what makes me a blogger and not the GM. I don’t know the answer and I’m not going to pretend to know like the others. I’m being honest, respect it.

David Phelps: There is a lot of talk about David Phelps though and his ERA is under 3.00 in the minors so, it’s not totally out of whack to give him a shot. This year his line looks like this: 4-4, 2.95 ERA, 76 innings pitched 76 hits, 66 K’s and 20 walks. That’s with Scranton Wilkes-Barre. Phelps also has good control and a good fastball over 90. Michael Kay had Cashman on today and suggested he's "leaning toward" Phelps. We shall see.

Manny Banuelos (photo) & Dellin Betances: No dice. ESPN is reporting that our pitching favorites of Manny and Dellin (sounds like a 70’s cop show) will probably not be given a shot right now because of their lack of dominance in the farm. So, frankly, we will need to wait for them, that’s fine.

Again, if I was me, I'd say Noesi should get the call. In the majors in relief, he is 1-0 with a 1.76 ERA, 4 G, 15.1 IP, 6K and 5 BB. If he can keep those walks down and lock it up early and go 5 or 6, I call it a good outing. Cashman though, seems to want Phelps to start, but no official commitment yet. We will see soon enough though, so stay tuned.

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017