Saturday, June 11, 2022

ROGER MARIS JR. & THE HOME RUN RECORD


Records are made to be broken. But when guys who make records die, and the steroid era comes barreling in full steam and breaks records, you really have to think about what the hell's going on here.

Roger Maris hit 61 home runs in 1961, one more than Babe Ruth. It was a stressful, exciting and crazy year for Mr. Maris who received threats and ripping because of the fact that at the time Babe Ruth was sacred in sports. But he did it because his abilities let him.

I have never felt as though that single season home run record was ever broken since Maris did it, meaning to me, Maris still holds the record. I'm probably the only one, but when you talk about steroids in the same conversation, it's clear that hitting the ball further is definitely part of the equation. 


In 1998, Mark McGwire hit 70 home runs, and Sammy Sosa hit 66. At the time, everyone knew what was going on. Even Roger Maris Jr. But do you think for a second he was going to expose that when the mic was in his face about his father's record and legacy? The guy was too classy. He was quiet. These days however he is talking. Why, because since the record was tainted by Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum, the record was broken again by Bonds with 73. At this point is was a ridiculous circus.

Now, with some seperation between that Bond record and the arrival of Aaron Judge, perhaps the record can be revisited with a legit New York Yankee who does it clean.

The Spun writes:


"Aaron Judge is currently on track to hit 63 home runs this year. If he manages to maintain this incredible pace, he'll break the New York Yankees' record for the most homers in a single season...

Earlier this week, Roger Maris Jr. spoke about his father's record. Believe it or not, he would be "very happy" if Judge breaks the record.

“You don’t want to see anyone get it, but I’d be very happy if Judge did do it,’’ Maris told the New York Post. “Dad always said records are meant to be broken. You don’t want to see Dad’s record go, but if it happened, I can’t think of a better guy to do it. He’s a great Yankee. To do it in New York, how cool would that be? "

For me, I'm not sure Judge can do it, but I hope he does. There are so many variables and situations that can knock him off the pace. Judge would have to be near perfect. Yes, I hope he does, but it's unclear right now.



I do love that Maris Jr. spoke out. I have always appreciated Roger Maris. I loved him as a Yankee. I think his story is wild and he in my opinion never got the true recognition of being a solid Yankee as he should. 

Anyway... I love this story, and yes, ultimately I hope it happens for Judge, for Jr and for the Yankees.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017