Thursday, January 6, 2022

CAN THE NEW YANKEES HITTING COACH TEACH THEM HOW TO HIT?


I love the Yankees, but it's been a while since I have loved some of the managerial decisions they have made. I still don't love the new coaching staff and if you read "NO EXPERIENCE REQUIRED" ON BOONE'S YANKEE COACHING STAFF then it's no secret. I hope this staff proves me wrong but I don't have high hopes, especially not after what I read yesterday.

If you read the New York Post you probably saw it too, but in case you missed it check it out HERE. Our new hitting coach Dillon Lawson's hitting philosophy is "hit strikes hard" and I'm just sitting here scratching my head asking "that's it? That's the new strategy?!" 

Come on. Our team that has been a "swing for the fences" kind of team and look at how well that has worked for us! All the Yankees know how to do is try and hit the long ball. They don't know how to successfully hit for contact. It's all about the short porch. Why hasn't Yankee brass figured that out yet?

Seriously, the LAST piece of advice that Lawson and company should be giving Gary Sanchez is to swing hard at strikes because that only leads to more strikeouts....and he has plenty of those. In fact he had 121 last season and 125 in 2019 (the last full season prior to the pandemic)! This has to be the worst idea for Sanchez, it makes ZERO sense. How about helping Sanchez better identify the strike zone and develop some plate discipline? Let's teach him how to hit rather than continue to be unproductive. There's some rocket science, right? 

Here's an idea - how about a "put the damn ball in play" philosophy? Or is that rocket science, too? What's wrong with making contact and minimizing outs and double plays? There's something to be said for moving the runner already on base. That whole hitting with runners in scoring position idea would probably lead to more runs. Again, rocket science. How about a bloop single? Or a strategic bunt? Or hitting to the opposite field? Beating the shift sure sounds well also. I mean....we could go on and on.

The sarcasm runs deep within me (obviously) but what we've been doing for YEARS now isn't working. Sure, we all like a sexy home run but what about a hit parade? I like that idea even more. 


I just feel like we hired more of the same and it's INSANITY. It doesn't work. It's not getting us to a pennant and it sure as hell isn't getting us to the World Series! I know it sounds too simplistic but how about putting the ball in play and making contact?!

I know it is a crazy, OLDSCHOOL idea but IT WORKS! That will help us get deeper into the postseason and even a World Series ring.....rather than the early and embarrassing exit but the Yankees just don't get it and we are all tired of losing.

Sorry (not sorry) Lawson, but I'd like to go on the record to say your philosophy sucks....just like the Yankees track record and batting average.


--Jeana Bellezza-Ochoa
BYB Senior Managing Editor
Twitter: @nyprincessj

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017