Friday, September 13, 2019

YANKEES SWEEP, BUT AT WHAT COST?

Thanks to weather this season, the Yankees have played seven doubleheaders. This is the most in a single season in almost 40 years, however, the Yankees have posted a 13-1 record in the 14 games.


Just an odd fact, but the Yankees are the first team to sweep as many as five doubleheaders in a season since the 1996 Reds and sweep six doubleheaders in a season since the Orioles and Pirates in 1979. They are also the first Yankees team to play as many as seven doubleheaders since 1982.

Despite the sweep, we suffered three losses. Edwin Encarnacion left with a strained left oblique, J.A. Happ with bicep tendinitis, and Gary Sanchez with groin tightness.


"It's something I've had in the past," Happ said. "I feel like I can manage it. I have been able to manage it."

Aaron Boone did not seem like he was too worried about Encarnacion's injury.

"He felt it in his first at-bat. Obviously homered in his second at-bat, and my understanding was he was fine swinging," Boone said. "We hope it's minor and we got ahead of it but we won't know until we get him checked out."

Sanchez said he exited the game before anything got worse.

Source: NJ.com

"Running toward the dugout I felt fine," Sanchez said. "Then I put on my equipment and once i squatted behind home plate, that's when I felt it tightening up. I thought it was the smart thing to say something to prevent it from getting worse."

These are three key players on the Yanks, so safe to say it is okay to feel worried. However, nothing seems to be too serious we should have them for the more important games coming up. 
"Obviously those are really key people we're talking about," Boone said. "I'm optimistic, frankly, on all three of them. We'll hope that the news we get back in New York and the treatment moving forward makes these things not long term."





--Missy O'Rourke
BYB Contributor
Twitter: @missy_orourke





Shop for BYB Gear!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017