Friday, June 7, 2019

MY SOFT SPOT FOR CLINT FRAZIER



Source: NYPost

Clint Frazier seems to be the talk of most Yankees fans lately, and not in a positive way. However, I think Chris Carbonaro can back me up on this one; I have a little bit of a soft spot for Frazier. I don’t know if it is because I am younger or what, but I do feel somewhat bad for him. But, that does not mean I am going to just forget his actions.


Source: NY Post

Making three errors in one game against your biggest rival is absolutely not something to feel good about. I probably wouldn’t have wanted to speak to the media if I was in his shoes, I get it. But at the same time, that’s your job. It’s kind of crappy to leave your teammates to talk for you about the loss you pretty much caused.


Source: Newsday

Frazier admitted after the game on Tuesday that he was wrong for dodging the media.

"I don't want them to have to speak for me, but I also want to be on the same page as everyone in there," Frazier said. "I should have been standing in front of my locker,"said ESPN.

It happens, players make mistakes they are human too. And Frazier isn’t a bad player! In 42 games this season, Frazier is hitting .273/.323/.533 with 11 homers and 30 RBI. Among qualified right fielders, Frazier is tied for 16th in the big leagues with 30 RBI and tied for 13th in homers.


Source: NY Post

"There's no question, there's obviously been some struggles out there. Some mistakes out there. … Obviously he's a work in progress. He's worked his tail off, to his credit, and is continuing to get better,” Boone said. “The work we're seeing, we believe will eventually translate.”

I also do not think that the media have treated Frazier fairly at all. There have been multiple instances that there have been stories told to make him look bad. Back in 2017, Suzyn Waldman, Yankees’ radio broadcaster, claimed that that Frazier requested to wear No. 7, Mickey Mantle’s retired number, which was not true. 

"I appreciate Suzyn reaching out, and I accept her apology," Frazier said on Twitter. "I would never ask for a legend's number. I care more about the front of the jersey than the back," MLB.com.


Another instance is when fans were told that Frazier had no respect for the franchise and wouldn’t cut his red hair to fit with the grooming policy. The thing is, he did cut his hair! Better yet, donated it to Locks of Love. 

"In thinking to myself and talking to a few people around here, I finally came to the agreement that it's time to look like everybody else around here," Frazier said via MLB.com.


All in all, I get it. It is okay to be upset with Frazier because you know what, he messed up. If he continues to make mistakes, then yes, maybe he needs to be sent down to AAA for a tune up. But at the end of the day, he is human and there is no reason to treat him or anyone else unfairly. Especially online.



--Missy O'Rourke
BYB Contributor
Twitter: @missy_orourke







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017