Sunday, November 4, 2018

JUST BECAUSE I MISS THE YANKEES, DOESN'T MEAN I LIKE THEM!


Source: Boston Herald

I have been trying to figure out my emotions right now.  I mean the baseball season has been over for a little more than a week.  The DVR is full of episodes ripe for binge watching, but honestly I miss baseball and more than that I miss the Yankees.  Yet it was not until I came across this article published in the New York Post on Saturday that I really understood what I was feeling.  Just because I miss the Yankees doesn't mean I like them, right now.


New York Post columnist Mike Vaccaro, in his article "The Unsatisfiable Yankees Fan is needed more now than ever" stated that Yankee fans have every right to be unhappy right now, in fact he expects it and calls for the fans to hold their ground; don't placate to the mediocrity of teams, implore them to be better.

Source: Sporting News

"All we have left is the Unsatisfiable Yankees Fan. We must protect them. We must guard them. We must encourage them when they are called to arms — as they were last week when their leader, Hal Steinbrenner, bent Joel Sherman’s ear for 40 minutes and produced some wonderful gems for the winter: The Red Sox winning the World Series “certainly pisses me off,” Hal told Joel. “I never want a division rival to outdo us.” “We need to win the division,” he said. “I don’t want to go through another wild-card game.”  Atta boy, Hal, that's it.  We can't continue to put up with mediocrity.  We need victory.  And if 100 games can't give us that, then we need to win more and lose less.


I am one of many the Unsatisfiable Yankees Fans.  I want the Yankees to win the Division, the World Series and beat the Red Sox in 2019 and if they don't, I will feel just as I feel right now, missing the Yankees but not liking them very much.  "And, yes, one of the problems with being a Yankees fan, no matter how old you are, is this: You’ve been trained to expect a certain level of excellence, so it’s hard to fully enjoy the smaller stations (like a 100-win season) along the way," stated Vaccaro.  I agree and echo these words.


Yes, we need pitching.  Yes, we need a stronger infield, defensively.  Yes, we need leadership.  And if these holes are not filled accordingly, we will continue to fall to the Sox and other teams who have invested in these areas consistently.  The Unsatisfiable Yankees Fans cannot back down.  We must unite to expect more.  We can miss the Yankees, sure.  But we need to continue to demand more from them so we can hoist the trophy next October.  I'm pretty sure we won't break it or chant we hate the Red Sox, but rather relish the victory and celebrate the honor that winning has in the hearts of fans in the greatest city in the world.



--Suzie Pinstripe
BYB Managing Editor
Twitter: @suzieprof







20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017