Monday, August 27, 2018

SONNY GRAY & HIS NOT SO MODEST MOMENT

Photo: Getty Images
So what did you think of that Pickles guy? He sure can pitch! He looks better than Sonny Gray. I will take him any day of the week instead of Gray and twice on Sunday. It was nice to see him show up and do what was expected of him. That's the Gray we needed to see earlier this season. Too bad he can't pitch in that jersey all of the time.

This series against the Orioles is exactly what it was supposed to look like. I have been tired of watching the worst team in the entire league play .500 ball against the Yankees this season. I will admit I was nervous when Gray was set to pitch on Saturday. His last start was a complete disaster and I didn't want to see it happen again.

Photo: Getty Images
His last start was on August first when the same Orioles hammered him for seven runs in 2.2 innings, but this weekend Gray outclassed his way through Baltimore's lineup for 6.1 innings. He gave up just three hits, one walk and struck out seven. He faced 23 batters and only four got the ball past the infield. I'm glad Gray had a good outing and has some new found swag....but is it too much?

Photo: Getty Images
You be the judge. After his successful outing he had a lot to say, read more HERE.
"If I can go out and throw the ball like that, I can get anybody out." Okay, sure. That was impressive, no biggie there. But this.....

"I know I can get anybody out. I mean I'm one of the best starting pitchers in this league and I truly believe that."

Best starting pitcher in the league? Gray had one disaster of a start and one fantastic start against one of the worst teams baseball has seen in many years. How can an elite starter have two very different starts and call himself one of the best?

I'd say Gray has been closer to one of the worst starting pitchers this season. It was his start at the beginning of this month against the Orioles that earned him his demotion in the first place. When I think of elite starters I think of what I heard CC Sabathia say years ago. The best starters know how to defend their home turf and pitch well. Gray just doesn't do that and because of that he has been booed several times. He is a much different pitcher at home than he is away. It's no surprise that Gray had this much success pitching at Camden Yards.

Photo: Getty Images
Gray has the ability to be a great pitcher, it’s why the Yankees gave up three prospects to the A’s to get him at the 2017 non-waivers trade deadline. Having the tolls to succeed is only half of a successful formula. Confidence is a huge part of being successful in the majors. Gray has had many struggles this season but it hasn't stopped his belief that he's still the same guy that was an All-Star  for the 2015 Oakland Athletics. Too bad we didn't see THAT guy for most of this season.

Gray's dominant performance was nice to see and much needed....but do you agree with his statement about being one of the best starting pitchers in the league? I'd say he has some nice, shiny moments but, he's not even starting anymore. Maybe if he wants to be a AAA starter?

Just build on this Gray, don't get carried away.




--Jeana Bellezza-Ochoa
BYB Managing Editor
Twitter: @nyprincessj




20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017