Wednesday, July 11, 2018

CASHMAN: MY JOB IS TO ATTACK WEAKNESS

Source: Getty Images North America

One more game in Baltimore and then a four-game stint in Cleveland.  Then we regroup, reflect and hopefully get back on track after the All Star Break.  It's all hands on deck and if not, then we can't keep you.  The Yankees can't afford any more mistakes.  It appears they know that but sometimes I wonder especially when Sonny Gray is again slated to start another game, this time against the Orioles who have come at us hard over the last three games.

Source: Getty Images

"I actually talked to Alex Cora right before the start of our series (in New York) and I said I’m sick of you guys winning every day," Aaron Boone joked to WFAN. "It’s probably going to continue to be an amazing race in the last few months of the season. It’s something we embrace, and if we’re gonna win the AL East, we’re gonna have to play at an extremely high level the rest of the way," reported the NY Daily News. It's just that simple, or is it?  It seems like the Yankees give way too many chances to guys who are consistently under performing. This mindset is hurting us and could actually cost us in the end.

Source: Mike Stobe/Getty Images North America

But according to the NY Post, Brian Cashman, who refused to answer questions about renewed interest in Manny Machado stated, "“my job is to attack weakness” and continued to describe the rotation as the priority for an upgrade."  Luis Cessa had a terrific start on Monday night in the second game of the double header against the Os.  He also had decent stuff his last outing prior to Monday.  The question is this:  Why is Sonny Gray still in the rotation?  Why do the Yankees need to wait until the trade deadline to DFA him or move him to the bull pen.  If Cashman's job is to attack weakness, then what is he doing about the Sonny Gray situation?

Source: Kathleen Malone-Van Dyke

“I’ve struggled in the past at times and I’ve responded,” Gray said. “I’m comfortable in my own skin. I’m not going to hold my head down. I’m going to walk around with my head up high and I’m going to figure it out," said Gray as reported by Newsday.  Apparently he is working with Larry Rothschild on mechanics and mindset.  I'm considering not watching until after the third inning, just in case.

Source: Al Bello/Getty Images North America

It is hopeful that Cashman is good on his word and leaves Miguel Andujar alone, ignores renewed interest in Machado and attacks the weakness in Yankee starting pitching.  With Aroldis Chapman dealing with chronic knee tendinitis and Gray being well gray, we need some help Mr. GM.  Let's just hope he is good on his work and gets us some.




--Suzie Pinstripe
BYB Managing Editor
Twitter: @suzieprof






Be Read. Get Known.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017