Tuesday, May 1, 2018

MIKE SCHMIDT HAD SOME EXPLAINING TO DO... AND DID IT


Originally Mike Schmidt disappointed me, but now I'm happy to see that he came clean and walked it back.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, Mike made a sexist remark the other day and had to clean it up after he came under fire.

The Sporting News has the story:

Photo: Sporting News
"Mike Schmidt apologized Monday for sexist remarks he made during a broadcast the previous day. The comment came while Schmidt, currently a weekend analyst on Phillies games, was discussing a tweet from Amanda McCarthy, the wife of injured Braves starter Brandon McCarthy.

The tweet mentioned that the pitcher 'still can’t do the dishes' after separating his shoulder. 'I have a dishwasher at home myself: my wife,' Schmidt said. 'That was bad. Actually, I do the dishes, most of the time.'

'Me Too movement,' Schmidt continued. 'Where does that fit in?' Schmidt said Monday that he 'made a mistake while attempting to be humorous.' 'It was not my intention to offend anyone'...


Schmidt said in a statement (via Westwood One). 'My daughter passionately marches in support of the #MeToo movement in Boston, and I support her in every way. I offer my sincerest apologies to those who may have been offended.'"

I chalk this up as generational.  Back in the day, it was comedy to make fun of women and no one did it better than Henny Youngman.


But here's the thing, Schmidt's not a comedian, and even in comedy, that doesn't fly. It's offensive.  Hell, I came under fire for referring to Jose Canseco and saying something that could have been considered very offensive to women. You can read about it here. 

I AM WHAT I AM... BUT THERE'S ALWAYS ROOM FOR CHANGE

I apologized and I too was trying to be provocative and funny. It doesn't work.  It's stupid.  So was this by Schmidt.

Photo: NJ.com
But I love that he came out and tried to fix it. I honestly don't think he meant a thing by it. But people do, and that's why we have to choose our words wisely.

Interesting story, good for Schmidt! He's back in my good graces.

Let's play ball!


Be Read. Get Known.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017