Sunday, July 9, 2017

COULD ADDISON REED BRING RELIEF TO YANKEES?

Source: KATHY WILLENS/AP

I saw it with my own eyes.  I was there.  I felt it in my core as he trotted onto the field from the bull pen in the 7th inning on Friday night.  I thought to myself, "this is just a sick joke that Joe Girardi is playing on me; he's not really coming in to ruin my perfect night at the Stadium." But alas, there was Tyler Clippard warming up to supposedly "get us out of a jam," which I might add he has not had much success in doing these last couple of months.  The Tyler Clippard presence on this team must end and honestly, I'd happily take 28-year-old Addison Reed in his place so that Clippard can be DFA'ed and we can all find some relief.

Source: SCOTT CUNNINGHAM/GETTY IMAGES

"With the Mets reportedly "open for business" on trade conversations, relief pitcher Addison Reed's name has been talked about as a potential piece the team could move on from in a July fire sale.

According to Nick Cafardo of The Boston Globe, "interest is picking up around Reed's name--but there's skepticism that the team most in need of a late-inning arm would be able to make the Mets an offer they would accept."

Source: Drew Hallowell/Getty Images North America

As of pre-game time on Saturday, right-handed pitcher Addison Reed has 15 saves on the year with a 2.53 ERA and 43 strike outs.  Over the last seven days, his ERA has been 0.00.

Source: Mike Stobe/Getty Images North America

Reed could make an impact on the bullpen without us giving away too much. And that keeps the Mets from dealing with the Washington Nationals, who acquired Daniel Murphy from their Division Rivals when the Mets failed to counter a free-agent offer. According to the NY Daily News, "If it’s the Yankees, that doesn’t mean Clint Frazier or Justus Sheffield or even Miguel Andujar. But considering that Reed could provide protection in case (Dellin) Betances can’t solve his walk issues or simply add needed bullpen depth, the Yankees should be willing to give up a prospect with value."

Source: Bob Levey/Getty Images North America

"Even if the Mets move Reed--or any other veteran--it could be spun as a move that wouldn't kill the team's chances of making a run this summer. Much like the Yankees moving Andrew Miller and Aroldis Chapman last summer, the Mets could theoretically play better baseball without a late-game reliever," reports NJ.com.

Source: Mike Stobe/Getty Images North America

Anyway you spin it, we need someone to replace Clippard who clearly is sucking the life out of fans like me let alone the team itself.  He seems to have "mush" status, bringing bad luck to the team once he enters the field.  And I think the thing that makes it worse is that he doesn't even know what is happening.  According to his post-game interview on Friday night's massacre on the mound, "I feel very good about where I am at on the mound right now," Clippard said.  "I feel like my stuff is there. It's just frustrating."  


Source: Mike Stobe/Getty Images North America

With a quote like that, Reed couldn't get here fast enough in my book.  As the deadline continues to grow closer, it will be interesting to see what Brian Cashman and Co. do to bring relief to both starting and bull pen rotations.

Time will tell... until then, #SendDownClippard.



--Suzie Pinstripe
BYB Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter: @suzieprof





BYB Stack Merchandise (2017)

http://shrsl.com/?hb1w

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017