Sunday, May 14, 2017

SHARING MOTHER'S DAY WITH DEREK JETER


When I heard that Derek Jeter intentionally chose Mother's Day as the day the Yankee organization would officially retire his number, I thought it was sweet.  He wanted to pay tribute to his mother who supported him all of these years as a growing athlete who became an icon in New York and across the world for his disposition, professionalism and talent as a ball player.  We are who we are because of our parents or despite them.  We watch the behaviors and actions of the role models in our lives and look to emulate...perhaps that's why I decided four years ago to take courses toward my eventual second Master's degree, which I earned on Mother's Day weekend as well.


"It was my choice," Jeter said. "I thought it would make it even more special. I have close relationships with my entire family, but I thought it was a great opportunity to do something special for my mom. She's been very important to me, always being positive and telling me from a young age that I could do anything I wanted to do as long as I worked hard at it. I thought it was a good day to not only acknowledge my entire family, but especially my mom," reported MLB.com.


You see, just like Jeter, I wanted to pay tribute to the strong women in my life who have made a difference.  These are the women that pushed me when I was weak, fed my passion when I was on a roll and provided the necessary mentoring along this long and difficult journey toward success.


There's my mother, also named Dorothy, like Jeter's who always told me I could do it.  No matter the challenge, she always had faith that I would find the way.  There's my boss, the dean, who served as a mentor to me as I took on a job that was unfamiliar to me.  She provided the necessary guidance, professional development and positive reinforcement leading me to taking courses and eventually gaining my second Master's.  Finally, there was my friend, my running partner and fellow educator, who read over my papers, giving me confidence to continue on the path, predicting my future success.


You don't have to wait until a special occasion to thank the special women in your life for helping you become who you are today.  Tell them today, tell them tomorrow.  Tell them often.  But of course, on this special weekend when we honor our mothers, the women who have been like mothers, our wives, our grandmothers, our aunts, sisters, friends and mentors, be sure you express your gratitude.  It does not need to be as big as Jeter's, even a small gesture will do.  Just make sure they know how you feel and how much you appreciate what they do for you, to help you be who you are today. Happy Mother's Day to you and your very special "mothers."




--Suzie Pinstripe
BYB Managing Editor
Twitter: @suzieprof





Derek Jeter Day at SteinerSports.com


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017