|Photo of Gleyber Torres. Credit: USA Today|
We have a lot to look forward to Yankee fans. We have a terrific crop of kids ready to do great things for us. I just wanted to focus on few of those hitting prospects that we are personally excited about.
1. Clint Frazier, OF. This kid is something else. Personality, talent and there is no question we could see him in the Bigs in 2017. Last season, combined Cleveland and Yankee minor leagues he had a .263 average with 16 homers and 55 RBIs. Decent, but more work to do. Don't worry... he'll do it!
2. Gleyber Torres, SS. This kid is young! 19 years old, but it won’t be long before he forces his way to the major leagues, no question about it. The kid just won the MVP of the Arizona Fall League. Only good things to look forward to!
3. Jorge Mateo, SS/2B. There have been 'hints' about perhaps trading Mateo away, but we at BYB suspect he'll be held onto as the future second baseman with Torres at short. The kid has mad talent. Last season with Tampa he batted .321 in just 21 games. In 2016 he dropped to .254 in 464 at bats. Again, another youngster with more work to do, but the Yankees like what they see from this kid.
4. Aaron Judge, OF. This kid is a giant. Casey calls him the Iron Giant. He's athletic and strong. One thing he needs to do is work on decifering pitches and cut down on his strikeouts. If he can, he will no doubt be a force, not only with the New York Yankees, but in the league itself.
5. Blake Rutherford, OF. Blake is only 19 and the kid, much like Mateo is probably 2 years away, but there is no question he's the Yankee future. We really like this kid. Hopping between the Yankees Gulf League and the Pulaski Yankees, the kid batted .351 with 40 hits in 113 at bats. Excited is an understatement.
6. Miguel Andujar, 3B. Andujar is 21 year old, but had 12 HR and 83 RBI while hitting .273 last year for A and AA. He might help us at some point considering the Yankee Universe is down on Chase Headley. Sure, it would be alittle crazy to put Andujar in that type of position, but you never know. Could 2017 be the year we see him in September call-ups? That could be cool.
|Photo: Los Angeles Daily News|
|Photo: Charleston RiverDogs|
Bottom line, these are the kids that BYB is following closely right now and will continue to have updates as the year goes on. Of course, you can read about many of the prospects, both hitters AND pitchers in Dan Lucia's series YANKEE PROSPECT WATCH as well, just click on his name.
The future is bright. We'll have a team led by mostly young hitters with Sanchez, Bird, Judge, and even the semi-young Didi and Castro.
When do you remember a Yankee team like this? It's been awhile...