Thursday, December 22, 2016

WE MAY NEED SEVERINO IN THE STARTING ROTATION

(Sept. 30, 2016 - Source: Jim McIsaac/Getty Images North America)
I know, I've stated here on Bleeding Yankee Blue before that I think that with Luis Severino's success in the bullpen, the bullpen he shall stay.  But guess what? I think I changed my mind.

For one, the kid is 23 years old. The kid's got great stuff and ultimately, while last season wasn't very successful for him as a starter, it's a learning curve and he truly needs to work through it.  You can't give up on the kid in one season and I think looking back, that's what I was doing, just shoving him in the pen for the rest of his career.  To be honest... that's not very fair.

(Sept. 21, 2016 - Source: Mike Carlson/Getty Images North America)
And so, I'm going to say something; I think I've changed my mind. I think maybe, with what we have in the starting rotation category, Severnio should be there.

Well look. One thing I can say is it won't be easy. He can't just show up and be a #2 starter.  He needs to earn it and prove himself.  Right? Right.

The New York Daily News has a great piece about Sevy that I wanted to snag a portion from it.  Good work Mike Mazzeo by the way.  Check it out:

(Aug. 13, 2016 - Source: Rich Schultz/Getty Images North America)
"The Yankees still think highly of Luis Severino.

But this spring the pressure will be on the soon-to-be 23-year-old righthander, who is coming off a disappointing season.

'He still possesses all that upside and ceiling, but obviously he will have to re-prove that in 2017 to earn a spot in the rotation at the major league level,' GM Brian Cashman told ESPN. 'If not, the expectation is that he would go to Triple-A.'

Severino was dominant as a starter after being called up in 2015 (5-3, 2.89 ERA, 11 starts) but struggled mightily in 2016 (0-8, 8.50, 11 starts)."

(Aug. 8, 2016 - Source: Adam Glanzman/Getty Images North America)
And so there it is... a new kid, big team, huge spotlight and while he was a success early, he laid an egg in 2016 as a starter for the New York Yankees.  But it doesn't mean the end. What it means is the Yankees want him to "get fixed" and be a dominant starter again one day.

Couple that with his raw emotions. Think about it... him not being so emotional out there if something doesn't go his way can really turn Severino around. I believe that.

And so, I will now be a cheerleader for Sevy being a a Yankee starter. Otherwise, who do we have? Look...

(Aug. 20, 2016 - Source: Jayne Kamin-Oncea/Getty Images North America)
Tanaka
Sabathia
Pineda
Cessa
Chad Green

(Sept. 12, 2016 - Source: Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images North America)
Really? REALLY?

Now, I know what you're thinking... "Casey just wrote UM... IT'S JOSE QUINTANA, NOT CY YOUNG earlier today, and doesn't want Jose Quintana. But he wants the rotation to be better and he's taking his chance with Severino? What gives?"

What gives is I'd rather see our farm system bloom...Bottom line. We need Sevy...

I now say bring it.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017