Thursday, December 22, 2016

THE METS STILL LIKE DAVID ROBERTSON

Aug. 11, 2016 - Source: Eric Espada/Getty Images North America
It's been a while now, but I remember when I had a nice and interesting nugget about the Mets and their want and need for a "top" closer and at the time, the internal discussion with a source in the Mets clubhouse was about David Robertson.  Read SOURCE: METS WANT DROB FOR LEADERSHIP & "TOP" CLOSER to get up to speed. But if you don't want too, I'll lift a quote from it:

(July 5, 2014 - Source: Hannah Foslien/Getty Images North America)
"According to my person, it was said that Sandy Alderson has always envied the Yankees and their closer situation and the Mets have never really had that stability in recent years.  After all, the last big closer coming out of the Mets was Billy Wagner. The idea is, if they could get DRob to Queens, he would walk in already battle tested and provide some stability while also presenting some leadership with the club.  It was suggested that DRob in the Bronx, was 'just another Yankee'. 'He would be a leader with the Mets', the discussion went."

Now Mets beat writers got on me telling me I wasn't right, and sure, of course they would. I mean, I'm a blogger with a friend in their clubhouse. What do I know, right? Well... I know stuff, because now 2 years later comes this nugget...

(July 23, 2016 - Source: Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images North America)
The New York Daily News writes:

"He's got closing experience, which Mets GM Sandy Alderson loves in a reliever, and he's proven he can handle the big stage in New York. The White Sox were trying to move Robertson last summer and, according to a source in their organization, were not looking for any big prospects in return.

As we’ve reported, Jeurys Familia is facing a lengthy suspension to start the season, so the prospect of adding Robertson was something that I thought would be a great move."

Well God damn... that sounds familiar!

Let's see what happens.  I know the Sox had asked about Michael Conforto, but we'll see if DRob comes back to New York... this time with the Mets.

Stay tuned... and you're welcome.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017