Saturday, March 12, 2016

I HAVE ENOUGH TO WORRY ABOUT


So baseball fever is most definitely in the air.  I barbecued for the first time since last fall the other evening.  I ran outside in shorts.  And the YES network is filled with activity other than soccer, basketball and re-runs.  But, although I am truly excited for the season, I am worried too.  I mean, there's a lot at stake.  We need to win, basically.  And if that's not enough of a reason to be worried. YES and Comcast gave me another one.


Back in November, Comcast pulled the plug on Yankee fans when it pulled the YES Network from its lineup of channel offerings.  "Well over 90% of our 900,000 plus customers who receive YES Network didn’t watch the equivalent of even one quarter of those (130) games during the season, even while the Yankees were in the hunt for a playoff birth,” Comcast said in a statement. “Viewership of the network in the baseball off season is even lower,” reported the New York Daily News this fall. But it gets uglier as of Thursday.  "YES has launched a PR offensive. It includes a massive multi-media advertising campaign urging Comcast’s 900,000 subscribers to switch to another distributor carrying the network and an informational website. And YES boss Tracy Dolgin was on a media Tour de Mouth, verbally whacking away at Comcast," reported the News.


Comcast yanked the Yankees prior to the beginning of the season, when it was presumably safer as the Nets are the premiere team dominating the network this time of year.  Luckily for me, I am not affected because I frankly switched from Comcast to Direct TV and final FIOS.  But others are, thousands of others.  Remember when I said I barbecued the other evening.  Yea, neighbors were out too and they were yelling at me from their porches like it was my fault.  Tony even threatened that he had to find another team.


My thoughts are this: As Yankee fans, don't we just have enough to worry about in our players than how are we going to catch the games?  I mean there are other avenues.  There are other distributors including MLB.TV.  They even dropped their rates this season.  This is not the kind of nonsense we need to start off the season.  Can't everyone just get along?  Let's get YES back on Comcast and keep the fans happy and excited for the 2016 season!




--Suzie Pinstripe, BYB Senior Staff Writer
BYB Hot Stove Columnist
Twitter: @suzieprof






Thank you for your loyalty to Bleeding Yankee Blue.
Please shop at the BYB store!
On Twitter: @BleednYankeeBlu
On Facebook, LIKE Bleeding Yankee Blue!
Don't forget to check out the BYB Hub.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017