Friday, January 22, 2016

HAL'S "NOT COMFORTABLE" SO WHAT ELSE IS NEW?


Excuse me while I finish yawning....but I am going through boredom and deja vu at the moment. I am looking for some excitement and something new rather than the same old boring headline. Instead, I stumble upon the same old boring Hal Steinbrenner mumbo jumbo and resist the urge to roll my eyes. I can't wait for him to say something new. Tell me something I don't already know, Hal!


In case you missed it, Hal released his annual "I'm comfortable where payroll is right now. But we're always looking to improve the club. You never know with us. We've surprised people in the past" anthem, you can read that HERE. By past do you mean signing our big long term contracts now that you are waiting to get off of the books, Hal? You know....Mark Teixeira at the end of the year.


Or how about CC Sabathia and Alex Rodriguez next year? That was another lifetime ago. Now the "surprises" you give us are trades.


I get it, I really do. I'm not complaining that the Yankees need to spend more money. I am not saying that the Yankees are cheap. All I am saying is Hal says the same thing over and over again. It's just a broken record and I am tired of listening to it! I can only hope that the Yankees learn from this and don't rack up payroll again after some of these big lengthy contracts come off of the books. Baseball is changing, teams around the league are starting to spend a little more money while the Yankees are cutting back. There used to be more perks being in a larger market like New York.....but now the rest of the league is catching up financially.


Years ago, we were the team that "bought players" and fans hated us for it. Now we have teams like the Dodgers who are also throwing out handfuls of cash to players. Granted, it may not be working but at least they are following the trends of other teams and trying to be competitive. Meanwhile, the Yankees know they need improvements but are strapped financially because of expensive contracts. We also either don't give our farmhands the opportunity to make a difference on the team or we give up on them too quickly. It's hard to be competitive like that.


To be fair, the Yankees pay a ton of money into the luxury tax but we seem to be behind the times. I am ready to hear Hal talk about something other than payroll. Give the fans something else to harp on or jump on board with!  So Hal....please stop teasing me with this "You never know with us" stuff.....because we do know, at least until the end of next year that we won't be spending.


   
--Jeana Bellezza, 
BYB Senior Writer and Editor
Twitter: @NyPrincessJ 

 



Be Read. Get Known.


Thank you for your loyalty to Bleeding Yankee Blue. 
Please shop at the BYB store!  
On Twitter: @BleednYankeeBlu 
On Facebook, LIKE Bleeding Yankee Blue!
Don't forget to check out the BYB Hub.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017