Tuesday, October 20, 2015

I HAVE A CASE OF PITCHER ENVY


Watching the NLCS I can't help but have a bit of pitcher envy.  Okay, I will admit it; a lot of pitcher envy.  I have been tweeting about it, talking about it and just feeling it.  I am not used to this kind of feeling; after all, I am a Yankees' fan.  I don't envy anything or anyone, until now.  And as Yankees' fans if you don't feel at least a little bit of pitcher envy, then you are lying to yourself.  Here's why:


I'm jealous that the Yankees don't employ Jake Arrieta, Jacob deGrom, Noah Syndergaard, and Steven Matz.  Not a fan of Jon Lester or Matt Harvey, mostly because of their diva-like disposition, but clearly they can pitch too.  Jake Arrieta and Noah Syndergard impress me the most.  Arietta's post All Star Break stats are not of this world.  He has a .75 ERA and has gone 12-1 since the break.  It's crazy; I want him.  And Noah Syndergaard throws 100 mph as naturally as we snooze our am alarm.  Watching the post-season on TBS, the fire icon pops up under his pitching speed as he hits 100 mph almost every other pitch.  They call him Thor.  I can see why.  It's crazy; I want him too.

My brother who is a die-hard Yankees' and New York Giants' fan has been experiencing some sort of post traumatic stress since the end of the regular season.  He's watching the Mets and is actually rooting for them and he went to the Jet game this Sunday.  He posted on Facebook:


He is experiencing envy...post season envy, not necessarily just pitcher envy.  I root for the Yankees, win or lose but I am jealous of the Mets' pitching.  I have been since the beginning of the spring.


According to ESPN's Jayson Stark, "History tells us it is possible to win a World Series without one of those ultimate aces who just blitzes through every lineup he faces, start after start after start. History also tells us this: It helps!"  Stark was actually referring to the Toronto Blue Jays' chances of winning the World Series because of their pitching, defense up the middle and home run hitters in the line up.  I'm not jealous of them or their pitching; I am angry with the Yankees for allowing them to pick up arguably one of the best pitchers in the league, David Price.  Anger is a very different emotion than envy.


So, we have a choice, Yankees' fans.  We can watch the post season with one eye open, hoping that the Cubs make the Back of the Future prediction right or we can face what we know is true.  We wish we had the pitching the Mets have this season and hope that we can recruit, develop and trade for some much needed help on the hill in 2016.




--Suzie Pinstripe, BYB Senior Staff Writer
BYB Hot Stove Columnist
Twitter: @suzieprof




You've made BYB the fastest growing Yankees fan site in history. Now shop at the Bleeding Yankee Blue store! Follow me on Twitter@BleednYankeeBlu and LIKE Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook! Also, don't forget to check out the BYB Hub!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017