Tuesday, September 29, 2015

'THE YOGI I KNEW': BY DEREK JETER


If there is anything you need to read today, it's Derek Jeter's piece on The Players' Tribune about Yogi Berra

It is tremendous, fantastic, amazing, tear jerking and I stand applauding as I write this. Here's a portion:

"One of my earlier years with the Yankees, I was in a hitting slump and none of my teammates were talking about it. Yogi came by my locker one day and sat down, but he didn’t say anything for a while. He just sat there with a serious look on his face.

'I’ve got your solution,' he said finally.

By this time, a few of my teammates were leaning over to listen in.

'Try swinging at strikes.'

He opened up a huge grin and the room lit up.

That was Yogi. He knew baseball as well as anyone and he watched all of our games, but he didn’t like to over analyze things. He loved simplicity. I think that’s why he often spoke in short sentences that were full of meaning. With Yogi, less was truly more.

When I think of Yogi Berra, I see him sitting next to me at my locker or in the training room. When he came to the stadium, we would catch up, usually in the sacred hour of down time before the first pitch. Everyone remembers how good he was at talking. What I remember about Yogi is how good he was at listening."

The full piece is HERE. Read it. You will love it.

Derek Jeter. Never disappoints.  Bravo my friend. Rest in peace Yogi.

 Be Read. Get Known.


You've made BYB the fastest growing Yankees fan site in history. Now shop at the Bleeding Yankee Blue store!  Follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and LIKE Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook!  Also, don't forget to check out the BYB Hub!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017