Wednesday, September 23, 2015

I FELT LIKE YOGI WOULD LIVE FOREVER


Today is the first day of fall, and news has broke, that Yogi Berra has passed away at the age of 90.  It's gonna be a strange day.  We all love Yogi Berra.  He is a staple at Yankee Stadium and has been for years.


I tweeted this about Yogi this morning:
It's my own mini-tribute and the fact is, to me, it almost seemed like the guy would always be around.  Ironically though, I remember when Carmen, his wife passed. 


I remember a conversation with Mike O'Hara, a BYB writer. Mike had "worry" about Yogi.  The conversation was... would Yogi be far behind Carmen? After all, those 2 were inseparable and it just seemed to make sense... Carmen passed... Yogi becomes lonely... the love of his life is gone, you think about if he will pass too. 

Well, it didn't happen immediately. Yogi held on, but no doubt, with Carmen passing away, his heart was broken. He still managed to pop into the Yogi Berra museum on occasion though.  He'd show up to Yankee Stadium a lot, although, some days he just couldn't make it.  Old age will do that to you sometimes.  But for me, strangely, I almost took him for granted.  It goes back to my original statement... I just thought he'd live forever.


Yogi was a fierce ballplayer.  He was a war hero... a loving father and husband as well as grandfather.  He was a humanitarian.  He was a good, good guy.


We will now have 1 legend from that era left. Whitey FordMickey's gone. Billy's gone. Phil's gone... and now Yogi.  It's unbelievable to think about Old Timer's Day without him.


It ain't over, 'til it's over.... and now it's over. Yogi Berra has passed away.

Rest in Peace old friend.

You've made BYB the fastest growing Yankees fan site in history. Now shop at the Bleeding Yankee Blue store!  Follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and LIKE Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook!  Also, don't forget to check out the BYB Hub.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017