Friday, April 10, 2015

SOUR GRAPES & SCAPEGOATS


You guessed it, I am back at it again. As long as there is a second side to a story to explore, I will be here to debate it. Just think of me as the state appointed public defender. In this case, I am the Yankees and Bleeding Yankee Blue public defender, and today I am here to once again....to stand up for Mark Teixeira because let's face it, someone has to do it and no one else wants to.

I get it. I really do. I understand WHY people are so irritated with this man. He irritates me too sometimes. I have in fact, thrown pillows at my television after watching another failed moment starring Tex. I will never claim that this man is the best first basemen that money can buy NOR will I say he is the best the Yankees can get. What I will say is that right now.....he is the best the Yankees have and I am not sure why we are all up in Tex's grill THREE games into the regular season.

Not sure what I mean? Read the very funny but premature story from Mike O'Hara HEY TEX, I'VE HAD ENOUGH. I get the sentiment, I do. But at the same time....I've had enough too! If this was written in June after a disastrous start I would tip my cap. Fact of the matter is, it's not. It's a new season. Are we really going to crucify him when he hasn't even had a chance to prove himself yet? Yes, Tex has had some REALLY bad seasons as a Yankee. Can we focus on the future? The man FINALLY had a full offseason where he was healthy and he was finally able to prepare. He came into spring training looking lean and mean. I applaud him for that. If he didn't care he wouldn't have done that. Clearly, he has a work ethic and he knows he needs to do better. He has something to prove to all of us AND himself.


Why can't we move past this? All offseason long and last year we were covering Alex Rodriguez and how it was time to "forgive" him after he comes back from suspension. I agree, but at the same time he did something really wrong! He cheated and didn't admit it at first. Now he is back and he got a standing ovation this week and people were cheering for him. We give him more support than Tex!We can forgive THAT and move on....but we can't support a guy who has flaws but is still making an attempt to better himself? I don't get it. Why the hatred? I will be the first to say I don't like ARod or what he stands for.....but as long as he is in a Yankee uniform I will support him regardless.


Why is it that we can say three games into the season that Mark is going to be awful? Where is this crystal ball everyone is looking into? Can you tell me who wins the Subway Series and World Series if we are going to go down this road? It is going to be a long season and the past does not define one's future. Patterns can be broken. Maybe he would do better if he felt more support. Regardless of how wise you are, it is easier to perform with a positive psyche then one filled with anxiety. Let's try supporting him and get a good sample before we dump Tex into the ocean without a floatation device.

Contrary to popular belief, many of the flaws in the Yankee lineup do not revolve around Tex. Last time I checked there are 9 hitters in the order and the Yankees have struggled for too long with all of them not producing. Just because Tex is supposed to be a power hitter doesn't mean he is to blame for everything. Accountability is key here. Everyone is to blame, stop making him the scapegoat! Did anyone watch Wednesday's game? Tex had a lead off double. NO ONE behind him could drive him in. He set the table and the Yankees left him there....STRANDED! That is the second game of the season folks, same lineup issues but Tex makes a good hit. The guy can't catch a break and it sucks.


How about the horrible throw from Brian McCann? Sure, it bounced of Tex's glove....but I find it interesting how the person sitting next to me is quick to yell at Tex and has no issue with that poor throw. McCann knew it was a bad throw, he was visibly upset afterwards so he knew he made a mistake. Yet, it was only Mark's fault. Oh, and on the other hand when he made that beautiful dive and stop to end the game the same person gave him NO CREDIT! None. Why the double standard? Why the poor fandom? I just don't understand.


Now as far as Tex and his timing with his attempt to be humorous....give the guy a break! When he first came to town he was too stiff and he had no personality according to many. Now we see the guy is human and not a machine and we want to jump all over him? I say live and let live. You think one little Foul Territory segment has taken that much time from his training and preparation? Fine, think all you want.....but we know Tex wasn't sitting on the couch and shoving pork rinds down his throat all offseason.

So now I will get off of my soapbox. We have 159 games left to go, folks. That being said for now can we hold off on the candy bars, Kool Aid and pop rocks? In fact, I suggest some stool softener instead.



 
 --Jeana Bellezza, BYB Senior Writer and Editor
Twitter: @NyPrincessJ  






You've made BYB the fastest growing Yankees fan site in history. Now shop at the Bleeding Yankee Blue store!  Follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and LIKE Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook!  Also, don't forget to check out the BYB Hub!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017