Thursday, April 2, 2015

I DON'T DISAGREE WITH PEDRO MARTINEZ ABOUT TANAKA


Something isn't right about Masahiro Tanaka.  I've been suspicious about the whole thing for months now.  How could a guy like Tanaka be pitching for 8 years in organized ball, and while he's in the US, gets hurt, and suddenly heals over time. I mean, he's got a tiny tear in his UCL, right? That just gets better? Really?

Now look, Tanaka pitched "OK" this spring.  Not wonderful... I mean, he had great moments, but I wasn't exactly blown away. Now though, the elbows healed... and everything is back to normal?  Do you really believe that? DO YOU? Because I don't.

I even had a conversation with Suzie Pinstripe about it via text the other night. We spoke about Tanaka's last outing. It went something like this:

Suzie: Tanaka was not good
Me: Something's wrong. He'll be hurt by May
Suzie: I agree


 Is it some earth shattering text exchange? Nope.  Not then it wasn't... it just seemed like common sense.  Now however, with loud-mouth Pedro Martinez speaking, believe it or not, I don't necessarily disagree with him.

"Speaking with Adam Schein on MLB Network Radio on Wednesday afternoon, Martinez said Tanaka looks unhealthy to him, and doesn't expect his right elbow to be right all season. Tanaka has avoided Tommy John elbow ligament replacement surgery because several different doctors have given the medical opinion that he could pitch through the small tear in his UCL. Martinez says he can tell from watching Tanaka in spring training that he's being tentative because he's probably worried about tearing the ligament completely — which probably is going to happen someday. It's just a matter of when...


'Unless they come up with a magic trick to actually get him better during the season, I just don't see him completely healthy all year..'"

I know, none of us are doctors, but why are we essentially echoing the same thing?  Furthermore, "magic trick".  Sound familiar?   I wrote recently about some mysterious stuff the Yankees were doing, courtesy of George King III of the Post, in reference to Larry Rothschild not being forthcoming about what they're doing with Tanaka.  Remember? We wrote 'MYSTERY' TINKERING WITH TANAKA? COME ON MAN!

In that, we wrote, courtesy of the Post:


 "'We were working on a couple of things that I don’t want to get into,’ pitching coach Larry Rothschild said of the Braves outing. 'I don’t think there is any difference in the average [from last spring]. When he is ready to go, when it matters the average will be higher. But you aren’t going to see that until he airs it out.’"

It's one of those things where I thought I may be over thinking then, but I'm not so sure anymore.  I also can't believe I'm saying this...but I agree with Pedro Martinez.

Here's the best part. Masahiro is surprised by Pedro's comments:


"I understand that everybody has their opinion about certain things, about the way I pitch. But for me, I know where I’m at, and I feel good, so I think that’s most important.”

Truth be told, Tanaka doesn't need to answer to anyone. If he feels good, more power to him. But for me personally, it's a gut thing.  Something seems off, and I don't know what it is.

What do you think? Do you think Masahiro will last this season? Do you think he'll get hurt?  Tell us what you think... comment.

You've made BYB the fastest growing Yankees fan site in history. Now shop at the Bleeding Yankee Blue store!  Follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and LIKE Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook!  Also, don't forget to check out the BYB Hub!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017